Comics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't remember Werewolf by night! I do remember Moon Knight though.

And Andrew...ever read Silver Surfer? It has sort of a redemption/self sacrafice story going on in it.

Originally posted by houseparent
And Andrew...ever read Silver Surfer? It has sort of a redemption/self sacrafice story going on in it.

Yeah, I enjoy Silver Surfer. I try to collect all the Fantastic Four issues in which he appears. Cool stuff!

Don't remember Werewolf by night! I do remember Moon Knight though.

How bout Dr. Strange? Came out in the 70's I think. That was back when I was a kid and a comic book cost about 35 cents. man those were the days. :lol:

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Is anyone else a fan of comics?

I love the Stan Lee movies that come out in the last few years, but the comics upon which they are based are even better, I think.

I have a collection of Marvel comics that spans the Silver Age. X-Men, Spider-Man, Avengers, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, Silver Surfer, Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, etc.

My all-time favorite is the X-Men/Phoenix saga.

For my fellow comic fans out there, what are your favorites?

Does MAD magazine count as a comic book?
alfred_e_neuman.jpg

I used to be a comic book fanatic. Had 1,000's
Had, Marvel Mystery #2 and other early Timelys, Big silver age keys such as Showcase 4, xmen 1-5 etc, 60's Marvel...

Xmen, Swamp Thing by Wrightson, EC scifi and Horror were my favorites... ended up selling most of them during era of unemployment that happen to coincide about the time God got a hold of me and brought me back into the fold.... not sure if there is any correlation. Still have lots of 1970-80's era like Fantastic four, batman, xmen, Spiderman.... Sometimes I am tempted to read a few but was always afraid it would "draw" me away from my theology studies... anyone else have that temptation???? anyway they sit in my closet collecting dust.

I cant part with them just yet, although I could be bribed with good theology works... :p

I have several batman, Tarzans, FF, Avengers etc that would be ok for kids, so i thought of saving them in the event my wife are ever blessed w a son. Who knows I may have some free time in the near future for myself to read up.

but hey, If I ever decide to give any away you'll be the first to know.

I'm pumped for Fantastic Four and Batman Begins, both look like they will be good.

The new Iron man series out is a good new storyline. I think Ultimate Iron Man is the title. It's on 4 or 5 now, already hard to get #1, talk about a guy who needs redemption.

I love the Phoenix stories, I always kind of wonder, am I degrading Chrit's real story by enjoying a pretend story that kind of mimics Christ? Any thoughts?

Also, before I was saved, I got a Thor tattoo with Hammer. I thank God for forgiveness, a symbol of a false god on my arm when I face God, great!!!!! :pray2:

When I saw starwars last week, they ran the FF trailer. Looks to be good. I thought the Xmen movie (1st) was great! I hope FF is as good. Only element of FF that might be cheesy is the THING. His costume looked like it was made of that memory foam pillow material they sell at Brookstone... :lol:

ps. I had several issues of IRONMAN series when i was younger, I read him in Tales of Suspense. They were ok... that book did need redemption.
All this talk of comics got me tempted to go pick up a copy.... : )

DC Comics Illustrator James Aparo Dies
Updated: Wednesday, Jul. 20, 2005 - 4:11 AM

SOUTHINGTON, Conn. (AP) - James N. Aparo, an illustrator for DC Comics for more than 30 years who drew Batman, the Green Arrow and other action heroes, has died.

Aparo died Tuesday at home after a short illness, said his daughter, Donna Aparo. He was 72.

Aparo, who grew up in New Britain, brought characters to life in his home studio in Southington, corresponding with DC Comics through the mail. He retired about four years ago, his daughter said.

Besides Batman and the Green Arrow, Aparo also did illustrations for Aquaman, the Brave and the Bold, Phantom Stranger and Spectre.

His big break came in the late 1960s when he was working for Charlton Press and his editor got a job at DC. The editor, Dick Giordano, brought Aparo with him to the comic book maker.

In a 2000 interview with Jim Amash for Comic Book Artist, Aparo said he went to Hartford Art School for a semester, but was mostly self-taught.

"I just drew as a kid and went with it," he said. "I studied and copied comic strips and comic books. I grew up with Superman, Batman, and Captain Marvel. I really liked Captain Marvel Jr. by Mac Raboy. That was beautiful stuff. I liked Alex Raymond, Milton Caniff ... all of those guys."

Aparo is survived by his wife, Julieann, and three children.

I eliminated The Punisher from my collection and stopped subscribing. As I said it was too graphic. I can handle violence if it is against bad guys (drug dealers, child abusers, etc.) but this book had graphic portrayals of nudity and sex in it! That's just being extreme for extreme's sake.

I currently get:

Batman books
Superman books
Green Lantern
Green Arrow (although his liberalism is getting on my nerves)
Supergirl books

I also picked up a new 4 issue Silver Surfer series (nice to see him back, at least for a while)

Moon Knight is back, but I suspect he won't sell enough to keep going, we will see. Marvel is very demanding. If a book doesn't see A LOT they discontinue it quickly.

I just saw an ad for the next X men movie on tv. Apparently its coming out soon (no, i don't really keep track). You guys looking forward to it?

Spiderman outs himself to the press
June 14, 2006

NEW YORK (AFP) - For a comic book hero, it's the ultimate taboo.

In the latest edition of the Marvel comic "Civil War" on sale, Spiderman does the unthinkable and removes his Spidey mask to publicly reveal his hidden identity.

"I'm proud of who I am, and I'm here right now to prove it," the legendary webslinger tells a press conference called in New York's Times Square, before pulling off his mask and standing before the massed ranks of reporters as newspaper photographer Peter Parker.

"Any questions?" Parker asks in the final panel of the issue, amid a barrage of camera flashes.

In a statement, Marvel trumpeted the revelation as "arguably the most shocking event in comic book history."

The seven-issue "Civil War" series, launched in May, sees Marvel's writers taking on the topical issue of civil liberties.

Following a showdown between a group of superheroes and supervillains in which hundreds of innocent civilians are killed, the government passes the Super-Hero Registration Act, requiring all superheroes to reveal their identities and register as "living weapons of mass destruction."

Marvel's roster of invincible crime fighters is split into two bitterly opposed factions, with one camp -- championed by the likes of Spiderman -- in favour of the new law and the other, including Captain America and his ilk, refusing to relinquish anonymity.

"It's about which side you are on and why you think you are right," said Marvel Comics editor-in-chief Joe Quesada.

June 14, 2006

In the latest edition of the Marvel comic "Civil War" on sale, Spiderman does the unthinkable and removes his Spidey mask to publicly reveal his hidden identity.

"I'm proud of who I am, and I'm here right now to prove it," the legendary webslinger tells a press conference called in New York's Times Square, before pulling off his mask and standing before the massed ranks of reporters as newspaper photographer Peter Parker.

"Any questions?" Parker asks in the final panel of the issue, amid a barrage of camera flashes.

In a statement, Marvel trumpeted the revelation as "arguably the most shocking event in comic book history."

The seven-issue "Civil War" series, launched in May, sees Marvel's writers taking on the topical issue of civil liberties.

Following a showdown between a group of superheroes and supervillains in which hundreds of innocent civilians are killed, the government passes the Super-Hero Registration Act, requiring all superheroes to reveal their identities and register as "living weapons of mass destruction."

Marvel's roster of invincible crime fighters is split into two bitterly opposed factions, with one camp -- championed by the likes of Spiderman -- in favour of the new law and the other, including Captain America and his ilk, refusing to relinquish anonymity.

"It's about which side you are on and why you think you are right," said Marvel Comics editor-in-chief Joe Quesada.

While it is an interesting story, I HATE that they had Spiderman reveal his idenity, I find it to be very lame.

No, not read that one. I spend around 80 bucks a month on Comics so I don't buy many graphic novels. On ocasion I do, but not often.

June 14, 2006

While it is an interesting story, I HATE that they had Spiderman reveal his idenity, I find it to be very lame.

:ditto: At least Captain America, champion of civil liberties, is taking a stand against the Super Hero Registration Act. :)

X-Men illustrator dies in Superman pajamas

November 28, 2006
CNN.com

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (AP) -- Wearing Superman pajamas and covered with his Batman blanket, comic book illustrator Dave C o c krum died Sunday.

The 63-year-old overhauled the X-Men comic and helped popularize the relatively obscure Marvel Comics in the 1970s. He helped turn the title into a publishing sensation and major film franchise.

C o c krum died in his favorite chair at his home in Belton, South Carolina, after a long battle with diabetes and related complications, his wife Paty C o c krum said Tuesday.

At C o c krum's request, there will be no public services and his body will be cremated, according to Cox Funeral Home. His ashes will be spread on his property. A family friend said he will be cremated in a Green Lantern shirt.

At Marvel Comics, C o c krum and writer Len Wein were handed the X-Men. The comic had been created in 1963 as a group of young outcasts enrolled in an academy for mutants. The premise had failed to capture fans.

C o c krum and Wein added their own heroes to the comic and published "Giant-Size X-Men No. 1" in 1975. Many signature characters C o c krum designed and co-created -- such as Storm, Mystique, Nightcrawler and Colossus -- went on to become part of the "X-Men" films starring Hugh Jackman and Halle Berry.

C o c krum received no movie royalties, said family friend Clifford Meth, who organized efforts to help C o c krum and his family during his protracted medical care.

"Dave saw the movie and he cried -- not because he was bitter," Meth said. "He cried because his characters were on screen and they were living."

C o c krum was born in Pendleton, Oregon, the son of an Air Force officer. He set aside his interest in art while serving in Vietnam for the U.S. Navy.

He moved to New York after leaving the service and got his big break in the early 1970s, drawing the Legion of Super-Heroes for DC Comics before moving to Marvel.

In January 2004, C o c krum moved to South Carolina after being hospitalized for bacterial pneumonia. As his diabetes progressed, his drawings became limited.

His last drawing was a sketch for a fan, who attended a small comic book convention in Greenville, Paty C o c krum said.

Meth said C o c krum will be remembered as "a comic incarnate."

"He had a genuine love for comics and for science fiction and for fantasy, and he lived in it," Meth said. "He loved his work."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back