College Pick 'Em

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, my Gamecocks looked good tonight. Hopefully, it'll carry over to next Saturday against UGA.

Ben, I propose whoever wins each week, gets to select one of the games for the next week to be picked. No offense, but I really could care less about picking Marshall games each week. They have a weak schedule. At least Pitt plays some big games.

Even if he adopted your proposal, Ben could still list a Marshall game each week. I'm sure there were folks who loathed picking UGA games all last year, too.

Ben, I propose whoever wins each week, gets to select one of the games for the next week to be picked. No offense, but I really could care less about picking Marshall games each week. They have a weak schedule. At least Pitt plays some big games.

Even if he adopted your proposal, Ben could still list a Marshall game each week. I'm sure there were folks who loathed picking UGA games all last year, too.

true, true. I didn't mean to complain, but at least the UGA games will most likely be big games each week. I will gladly pick whichever games are placed before me. I guess I will just have to win and then everyone can have fun picking Texas games next season.

USC is 1-7 against Georgia since 2002. May the tradition continue!

Seriously, though, a sports commentator in the Atlanta area once made an insightful analysis of South Carolina football. The first team USC puts out on the field is on par with the rest of the SEC. That's one reason that the USC/UGA game every year (the second or third game every season) is so close. The thing that kills USC, though, is depth. Once the season grinds on, and the injuries start piling up, then USC has to play the teams like Florida with a decimated roster. That's the reason that USC seems to fade toward the end of the season. But I'm sure The Evil Genius is working to put an end to all that. ;)

If Murray does as well as another redshirt freshman (who wound up starting for four years) named David Greene, I think Bulldog Nation will be happy!

Last edited:
Pitt v. Utah
Boise State v. Va Tech (@Landover, MD)
UCONN v. Michigan
So. Miss v. South Carolina
Illinois v. Missouri (@ St. Louis)
LSU v. North Carolina

Tiebreaker
Marshall v. Ohio State 42-13

and as the final seconds tick off the clock of the Boise St/VaTech game, it looks like I was 7/7 for this week. Anybody else checking in with 100%?

Week #1 Results

Since last year we had an award for each week's winner this year whoever wins will win the "Flaming Scot" Award.

Congrats Andres!

First Week's Results

Andres...............................................7-0:flamingscot:
Marrow Man........................................6-1
Michael..............................................6-1
kainos01.............................................6-1
Soonerborn...........................................6-1
Edward...............................................6-1
Chaplianintraining.................................5-2
Tripel.................................................5-2
John Lanier.........................................4-3
goodnews...........................................4-3
Backwoods Presbyterian........................4-3
earl40................................................4-3
Bookmeister........................................4-3

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 PM ----------

There is still time to participate for those who missed the first week!!!!

Only three match-ups pitch two ranked teams verse each other this week and a lot of "cupcake" games this week on the schedule. Made picking difficult.

Week #2 Games

#23 Georgia @ South Carolina
#20 Florida State @ #7 Oklahoma
#13 Miami(FL) @ #2 Ohio State
South Florida @ #4 Florida
#19 Penn State @ #1 Alabama
Michigan @ Notre Dame

Tiebreaker (Remember to Give the Score)

#25 West Virginia @ Marshall

Ben, I like your games for week 2. Are all the remaining weeks going to continue in this thread or could a new one be started for each week?

Pitt v. Utah
UCONN v. Michigan
LSU v. North Carolina

Tiebreaker

and as the final seconds tick off the clock of the Boise St/VaTech game, it looks like I was 7/7 for this week. Anybody else checking in with 100%?

You beat me on Boise State in the preseason games.

Pitt v. Utah
UCONN v. Michigan
LSU v. North Carolina

Tiebreaker

Nope. :rant: Boise St. foiled my sweep!

Benjamin, thanks again for running this thing. Man, I laid an egg in week one. I wonder how everyone would feel about trying a week including the spread?

I have to be honest, I don't mind working the spread if I know what the spread meant. LOL

Good question. The way betting works in Vegas includes what they traditionally call the spread. If you want to make a bet you have to include in your thinking the differential the spread provides, and not just who will outright win and lose the game. The spread is points given to the "lesser" team before the game even begins and before anyone bets. For example, oddsmakers are picking S. Carolina to beat UGA by a very small margin so far this week. They have Carolina at -2.5 (or UGA at +2.5). That means if you pick Carolina, and they only beat UGA by two points, then you lose the bet. Also, the line (or spread) on the OK/FSU game is OK -10. That means that if you pick OK to win they must win by at least 11 points (depending on how you handle the tie) in order for you to win that pick. It just makes things a lot more interesting, and profitable for the folks in vegas b/c it makes the odds less predictable. Benjamin has done a good job so far in selecting games that aren't necessarily easy to pick w/o the spread, so kudos to him. But, that's not always easy to do. The spread just makes things even more interesting.

It's just a suggestion, I'll be happy with either format we use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back