College Pick 'Em 2013 Starts the weekend of August 29!

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddpedlar

Iron Dramatist
Good morning sports fans!

As champion of last year's College Pick 'Em, I guess it's time to get things going - so I thought I'd give a couple weeks advance warning that the season is soon to be upon us.

If you've never played before or just need a refresher, here's the format:

1. Each week I'll list 15 games for you to pick winners (Yes, 15! Gotta make it a real challenge!). Your entry will need to appear in the Pick 'Em thread before kickoff of the first
game (which will always be noted in the thread head post for each week). For purposes of tiebreaking, the last game listed will require not only a winner to be picked, but the
score of the game to be predicted. All games, including the tie-break game, will be tabulated, for a total out of 15 possible correct picks.

2. Apart from ties, the person with the most correct picks each week is the winner.

3. For tie-breaking purposes, here is how I will choose the weekly winner: (edited 8/27 to this final version of the tiebreaking rules)

a. Was the correct winner picked in the Tie-Break game?
b. Closest to the total points scored by both teams AND the winning margin. Formula is: square root((your total - actual total)^2 + (your margin - actual margin)^2)).

This method prevents something like this happening: Player A says score will be 45-0 Player B says score will be 23-21. Actual score is 23-22. If we looked at total score
first, and then the winning margin second, Player A would win the tie-break even though he predicted a blowout when player B almost had the exact score right.
Looking at margin first and then total score has similar problems. This gives both total score and final margin equal weight, so that what is favored is the actual prediction of
the score in both ways.

c. Closest to the winning team's score.
d. Closest to the losing team's score.

God willing, we have the winner settled by this point - if not, then each person will obtain a win for the week.

4. During the season, weekly winners will be tabulated - and at the end of the season, all those who have been the weekly winner at least once will have an entry into the monster end-of-season tournament known as the College Bowl Pick 'Em... the winner of which will be tasked with running the Pick 'Em show in 2014. Note that one needn't participate each week in order to gain an entry into the season-end tournament: one win in one week is sufficient for participation.

5. I will post picks for a week's games each Monday - so look out for August 26, when the Week One picks will be posted - and picks will need to be in by Thursday evening EDT,
when the first games will kick off.

This is a great bit of fun, so I hope that we get a goodly number of participants this year!

You'll hear from me again in a few weeks,

Todd

Last edited:
Sounds good. Just hoping you take it easy on us this year, Todd. Last year you put up a regular season for the ages.

Sounds good. Just hoping you take it easy on us this year, Todd. Last year you put up a regular season for the ages.

If I wasn't a convinced Calvinist, I'd say that was just pure dumb luck... but, yeah, it was certainly memorable. Never would have expected to take home so many weekly first places. Hopefully we get a good crowd participating. I'm putting up 15 games a week so that hopefully there are a good number of interesting games to pay attention to, and everyone's got a home-region team in the mix as well :)

So if one wins they have to do the work next year? You guys are a trip.

Oh, this hardly qualifies as work! :p
I'm not so sure! Can I join in - or is it like the "world" series? Does knowing nothing about American Football (assuming this is the game and not baseball) matter?

Assuming I am acceptable - what sort of scores are we looking at: 2-0? 12-0? 23-26?

So if one wins they have to do the work next year? You guys are a trip.

Oh, this hardly qualifies as work! :p
I'm not so sure! Can I join in - or is it like the "world" series? Does knowing nothing about American Football (assuming this is the game and not baseball) matter?

Assuming I am acceptable - what sort of scores are we looking at: 2-0? 12-0? 23-26?

You're certainly allowed to join in, once we've started. Knowing nothing about American Football itself isn't a barrier, necessarily - but to do well you probably need to have
some inkling of which college football teams are strong in a given year, and which are doing well from week to week. You can certainly get a lot of that information online.
On the other hand, I suspect in some weeks it won't matter how much one knows... strong teams get upset by weaker teams all the time, and it may well be that my five-year old
could win one week if she were playing.

In terms of scoring, that aspect only comes into play with the tiebreaker game... and yes, all the scores you noted could occur (though 2-0 would be rather unusual, and 12-0 not much
less so). Quite often teams score in the 20's and 30's (and most common are scores which are composed of 7's and 3's... 24-21, e.g., or 35-31, 28-6, 16-7, etc.)

Todd

How bout them Dawgs!!!

For our international friends who may need a refresher on the scoring.

6 points - touchdown - running the ball into your opponents endzone, or throwing it to an eligible receiver in your opponent's end zone.

3 points - kicking the ball between the uprights of the goal post in your opponent's end zone (unless done immediately after you have scored a touchdown)

2 points - starting three yards from your opponent's end zone, running or passing into the endzone the play after you have scored a touchdown
- while on defense, tackling the opposing player with the ball in his own end zone
- while on defense - taking the ball away from the offensive player (either recovering a fumble or intercepting a pass or blocking a kick attempt) while the opponent is trying to score following a touchdown, and running it all the way down the field to the other end zone.

1 point - kicking the ball through the opponents endzone immediately after you have scored a touchdown.

Other key points to remember - the Big 12 conference has 10 teams, and the Big 10 conference has 12 teams.

Don't forget the one point safety.... if a conversion attempt is blocked, for instance, and the ball recovered by the defensive team, if the defender runs back into his own end zone and is tackled, the kicking team gets a single point. Example: in last year's Fiesta Bowl, Oregon vs. K State...

How bout them Dawgs!!!

For our international friends who may need a refresher on the scoring.

6 points - touchdown - running the ball into your opponents endzone, or throwing it to an eligible receiver in your opponent's end zone.

3 points - kicking the ball between the uprights of the goal post in your opponent's end zone (unless done immediately after you have scored a touchdown)

2 points - starting three yards from your opponent's end zone, running or passing into the endzone the play after you have scored a touchdown
- while on defense, tackling the opposing player with the ball in his own end zone
- while on defense - taking the ball away from the offensive player (either recovering a fumble or intercepting a pass or blocking a kick attempt) while the opponent is trying to score following a touchdown, and running it all the way down the field to the other end zone.

1 point - kicking the ball through the opponents endzone immediately after you have scored a touchdown.

Other key points to remember - the Big 12 conference has 10 teams, and the Big 10 conference has 12 teams.

As a cricket fan, this

"Other key points to remember - the Big 12 conference has 10 teams, and the Big 10 conference has 12 teams." seems totally sensible.

I will have a look at the rankings if I have time. If not I will use the rule of thumb: the team who plays on the blue pitch (U of Idaho?) will win, confederate will always beat unionist (except U of Idaho), area with a strong PB following will win. At the very least this should provide you with some amusement and none of you will be bottom.

As a cricket fan, this

"Other key points to remember - the Big 12 conference has 10 teams, and the Big 10 conference has 12 teams." seems totally sensible.

I will have a look at the rankings if I have time. If not I will use the rule of thumb: the team who plays on the blue pitch (U of Idaho?) will win, confederate will always beat unionist (except U of Idaho), area with a strong PB following will win. At the very least this should provide you with some amusement and none of you will be bottom.

Boise State is the team who plays on the blue field (Boise is in the state of Idaho, though). They are good but don't face top competition week-in and week-out like other top teams.

Your general rule that "Confederate" teams will beat "Unionist" teams is generally correct, and gave me a good laugh reading it put that way!

Don't forget the one point safety

I had forgotten that one. Fiesta wasn't one of the bowls I watched last year.

That would be TWO points.

Huh? A normal safety is two points, but one point safeties also happen, as Oregon scored against Kansas St. in last year's Fiesta Bowl...

Oops! It probably would help if I actually read the thread before commenting. :D

I thought normal safeties were what you guys were talking about. Sorry.

I think someone forgot that Spurrier is now at South Carolina. It probably should read 'Always pick Spurrier over the Dawgs'.

Spurrier does well against the Dawgs, but even after winning the last 3, SC is still either .500 or one game against them under during his tenure there, and has a overall winning percentage only slightly better than Vanderbilt against UGA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back