College Football Games, Sept. 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marrow Man

Drunk with Powder
I'm sort of borrowing this idea from another discussion board I used to frequent. I'm going to post a list of college football games for this Saturday, and see if you can guess who will win. The tie-breaker will be predicting the winner and final score for the Georgia-SC game.

The prize for winning? Bragging rights and you get to wear a powdered wig for the next week.

Here are the games:

1) USC v. Ohio State
2) Michigan v. Notre Dame
3) UCLA v. Tennessee
4) Auburn v. Mississippi St.
5) North Carolina v. Connecticut

Tie-breaker: Georgia v. South Carolina (winner and score)

1) USC
2) Michigan
3) UCLA
4) Auburn
5) North Carolina

Tiebreaker
Georgia 30 - S. Carolina 17

-----Added 9/12/2009 at 11:49:18 EST-----

I'm sort of borrowing this idea from another discussion board I used to frequent.

I miss that--Glad you brought it over!

My apologies for not getting these out before Saturday morning. In the future I'll have to put them out by Thursday -- lots of good games on Thursdays (like Georgia Tech v. Clemson) sometimes.

1) Ohio State
2) Notre Dame
3) Tennessee
4) Auburn
5) North Carolina

Georgia 17 v. South Carolina 14

Since one game has already started, I am cutting off all picks at this point. Thanks for playing. I shall hopefully have the games up earlier next week, and I plan to post the winner on Monday.

They were very flat last week. The timing was all off on the passing game (how many of those quick releases over the middle were overthrown or dropped? That's just bad execution). The coaching aspect came in the fact that they completely got away from the running game. If you are able to run the ball down the opposition's throat, why do you move away from that?

I too suspect that if they can only put up 10 points against Oklahoma State's defense, they will mightily struggle against Carolina. But, they should be able to keep USC out of the end zone (the defense did play pretty well last week). We could very easily be looking at a 7-3 type game. It might be reminiscent of that horrible performance a couple of years ago when they only put up 12 points (four FGs) and lost because of a dropped pass in the end zone near the end of the game.

I made my picks scientifically: I flipped a quarter. For the tie breaker score I multiplied the first two sets of single digit numbers I saw when I looked up. JK :)

For all I am able to keep up with ball this year I may as well have!

Tim, you really gotta come out with these threads a little earlier. I really look silly picking winners at 7:30p on gameday. :lol:

Well, that Georgia/USC game has turned into a barn burner! Those tie-breaker predictions aren't going to stand for long!

To be honest, Michael, it occurred to me to do this around 11 am this morning. Better late than never. :lol:

You ain't kidding -- I really wasn't expecting such a high-scoring game between the promise of UGA's defense and the quality of the coaching at SC.

And this week's winner:

Tripel, who picked all five games correctly!

Here's your powdered wig for the week: :judge:

I LOVE College football! I can't see how anyone can argue that the NFL is better than the games I watched today. PSU blew out Syracuse so maybe that's comparable to an NFL game, but no way I'll see a game in the NFL this week that's as exciting as the Notre Dame vs. Michigan game or the Ohio State vs. USC game, or even the Georgia Tech vs Clemson game. NO WAY.

I don't understand Willie Martinez's defensive strategy (and pine for the days of van Gorder). If a) you aren't generating any pressure on the QB and b)he keeps burning you over the middle because you are playing too soft of a zone, why would you keep doing the same thing on defense play after play?

I LOVE College football! I can't see how anyone can argue that the NFL is better than the games I watched today. PSU blew out Syracuse so maybe that's comparable to an NFL game, but no way I'll see a game in the NFL this week that's as exciting as the Notre Dame vs. Michigan game or the Ohio State vs. USC game, or even the Georgia Tech vs Clemson game. NO WAY.

You could add Georgia-South Carolina to that as well. Very exciting weekend of college football.

And the Big 10 does have a new representative - we both know who that is!

I noticed you didn't mention the boring finish to the Georgia - SC game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back