College Football: For Whom Doest Thou Thy Cheering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys are all speaking about things I don't understand. The only team I've ever followed are the Montana Tech Orediggers in Butte.

They let me play for them even though I had a full geophysics scholarship. The quarterback was a Physics major and the starting middle linebacker was beginning his Master's work in magneto-hydrodynamics.

Full disclosure: I didn't play for them very long. I left to get a starting position on the other Orediggers football squad: Soccer. I was the only American on the team and we were undefeated in 1976.

Last edited:
SEC East: Georgia
SEC West: LSU

I will root for any SEC team playing a non conference opponent.

I also like Southern Miss and Tulane.

Teams I can not stand;
1. Florida Gators
2. Florida Gators
3. Florida Gators
4. USC
5. Notre Dame

You go to the head of the class!

In all seriousness, I'm a huge Georgia fan (even after debacles like last Saturday night), and it's easy to dislike a big rival like Florida. But now that Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer are both gone from Florida, and now that a former UGA player is the head coach, it's tough to dislike them. It's also tough to dislike Tennessee now that they have a Dooley for the head coach.

You go to the head of the class!

In all seriousness, I'm a huge Georgia fan (even after debacles like last Saturday night), and it's easy to dislike a big rival like Florida. But now that Steve Spurrier and Urban Meyer are both gone from Florida, and now that a former UGA player is the head coach, it's tough to dislike them. It's also tough to dislike Tennessee now that they have a Dooley for the head coach.

Sounds good. Then channel all that into disliking Bama.

Sounds good. Then channel all that into disliking Bama.

LOL. I actually respect Alabama. Saban is a good coach and no-nonsense. You may not like him but you've got to respect what he does with teams. My dad taught me a long time ago to dislike Alabama when Bear Bryant was the head coach (he called BB a dirty coach), but those memories have softened over the years.

Saban is a good coach and no-nonsense. You may not like him but you've got to respect what he does with teams.

No. I agree. Probably the best college coach in the game right now. He has won everywhere that he has been (except the Dolphins). I do respect his coaching abilities but I do think he is really shady. But, in the end, I am bound to dislike Bama since I am an Auburn fan and alum.

But, in the end, I am bound to dislike Bama since I am an Auburn fan and alum.

Up until last year, Auburn was probably my second favorite SEC team. I always liked the description of the Georgia v. Auburn rivalry -- like two cousins wrestling in the backyard during the family reunion. But last year's game left a bad taste in my mouth. I didn't like the whole Cam Newton situation and I didn't like what Nick Fairley did to Aaron Murray during the game (and not just that one play at the end). No offense, but I was definitely rooting for Bama in the Iron Bowl two weeks later.

[video=youtube;yi8X_VpsZbI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi8X_VpsZbI&feature=related[/video]

I will root for any SEC team playing a non conference opponent.

Even South Carolina?
Yeah I suppose as long as the win didn't negatively affect the Dawgs or Tigers. The Gamecocks have a pretty cupcake out-of-conference schedule this year but if it came down to Spurrier and his boys against some team like Ohio St. or Southern Cal, I'd love to see the Ol' Ball Coach mop the floor with em. I can't stand Nick Saban since he left LSU but I rooted for him against Texas in the championship game a couple years ago. The biggest sleazebag of all in my book is Bobby Petrino [worse than Lane Kiffin and Saban combined] and I'd still have to support the Hogs if they were in a similar position.

No shame in saying I'm right at the front of the SEC homer line.

The biggest sleazebag of all in my book is Bobby Petrino

Unfortunately, these outnumber the honest coaches today. There are not many who are honest guys. I think Richt is one but he will probably be gone by the end of the year. That is one reason I have always liked Nebraska, they seem to run a good clean program and have ever since Tom Osborne was there (with the exception of the Lawrence Phillips incident). Now that I say that, they will probably be on ESPN later today for some violation.

As far as the Fairley/Newton drama from last year. Yes I think Fairley is a dirty player and yes I think Newton knew what his "pastor" daddy was doing. Still my alma mater though, so I was glad to see them win. I would have hoped they would have done it without all that mess.

The biggest sleazebag of all in my book is Bobby Petrino

Unfortunately, these outnumber the honest coaches today. There are not many who are honest guys. I think Richt is one but he will probably be gone by the end of the year. That is one reason I have always liked Nebraska, they seem to run a good clean program and have ever since Tom Osborne was there (with the exception of the Lawrence Phillips incident). Now that I say that, they will probably be on ESPN later today for some violation.

As far as the Fairley/Newton drama from last year. Yes I think Fairley is a dirty player and yes I think Newton knew what his "pastor" daddy was doing. Still my alma mater though, so I was glad to see them win. I would have hoped they would have done it without all that mess.

Regardless of what one thinks about Penn State, you have to admit JoePa is one of the few class acts left in the game.

Auburn.jpg

As all good Christian men do.

Unfortunately, these outnumber the honest coaches today. There are not many who are honest guys.

Mack Brown at Texas is about as stand-up as they come. And I don't just say that because I'm a UT fan. I can recall him kicking guys off the team on more than one occasion for off-the-field troubles. See here.

I still maintain you cannot have a conversation about stand up head coaches without talking about Joe Paterno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back