Code and Textual Features in posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Me Died Blue

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
This is just a simple resource to help people easily learn how to quickly use the various basic textual features in their posts. A more detailed guide to this and the other aspects of using the board as a whole may be found at http://www.puritanboard.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=5552, although some of it no longer applies to the board's format.

To quote someone's post, simply click on the green "QUOTE" box at the top-right of the post. What it will then do is automatically put the necessary words and symbols around the text you want to quote, which you can manually do as well if you want to quote more than one thing in a single post of yours. For instance, if you want to quote the phrase "This phrase is quoted," you would simply type:

This phrase is quoted.

You can then go on typing un-quoted text below the quotation like this, and whenever you want to quote more text further down in the post, just make a new line and put that same notation around it. It is the same way with italics, bold, underlining, color and website linking:

This sentence would be italicized.
This sentence would be bold.
This sentence would be underlined.
This sentence would be green
This sentence would be a link to Google when people click on it.

Any other features follow the same pattern, as you can see above your text-box on the page at which you're creating your post. Feel free to respond to this thread several times in a row just to test the features out and get a feel for how they work.

NOTE: The only reason my examples above displayed the text instead of taking on the applicable features is because I checked the "Turn BBCode off?" box before posting.

Wow! Totally cool! I feel like a "computer geek" already!

Ok, ... nimbling up my fingers....

This sentance should be blue.

This should be bold....

Thanks for posting such useful information! Do you have any more tips? Like, how do people get different icons and stuff like that?

The one that took me the longest to get working right was adding links in color.

Here's how I do it:

A Puritan's Mind

And to add a picture from another site:

TULIP.gif

As Chris noted, BBCode was turned off to do the above. Here it is normal.

The one that took me the longest to get working right was adding links in color.

Here's how I do it:

A Puritan's Mind

And to add a picture from another site:

TULIP.gif

So the link to monergism.com would be here.

Let's see if it works

[Edited on 11-11-2005 by turmeric]

[Edited on 11-12-2005 by turmeric]

Originally posted by R. Scott Clark
Kai. u`ma/j o;ntaj nekrou.Ã…Ã…Ã… de. qeo.j plou,sioj w'n evn evle,eijÃ…Ã…Ã…Ã…

(Eph 2:1, 4)

rsc

I see.. .. but do you have a link? :lol:

rsc

Real men use unicode. :lol:

καὶ ὑμᾶς ὀÌντας νεκÏοὺ

[Edited on 11/12/2005 by fredtgreco]

Originally posted by fredtgreco

rsc

καὶ ὑμᾶς ὀÌντας νεκÏοὺ

Fred,

Actually, I like that (Gentiumalt is it?).

Whence and how?

rsc

rsc

καὶ ὑμᾶς ὀÌντας νεκÏοὺ

Fred,

Whence and how?

rsc

Scott,

If you'd like, I can email you the unicode keyboards, a couple of Word macros and the unicode fonts (GentiumAlt and Ezra)

It is outstanding for original language work.

If you'd like, I can email you the unicode keyboards, a couple of Word macros and the unicode fonts (GentiumAlt and Ezra)

Fred, would you email that to me as well?

rsc

καὶ ὑμᾶς ὀÌντας νεκÏοὺ

Fred,

Whence and how?

rsc

Scott,

Great!

Thanks.

I'm using Word 2003.

rsc

OK,

I have finally completed what I needed to get done. I have placed a ZIP file on my website for downloading. It is 1.5MB large, so it should be an easy download. You can get it at:

http://www.tulipfaith.com/files/GreekHebrewtools.zip

What is in the ZIP?

1. A Word template (greekmacros.dot) That contains two macros. One allows you to type in Greek, then the second sets everything back to nornmal. I have them set up on a toolbar in Word, and also keystrokes assigned to the (Alt+G is for Greek, Alt+Q is for return to normal). Part of why you need the macro is because the keyboard does not work real well in Times New Roman, you need a unicode font.

2. A folder with the Logos Greek Keyboard. It has installation instructions and allows you to type Greek letters in unicode font. It is really easy to use - it has the best keystrokes for accents I have seen. For example, instead of having to remember complex double mark keys (e.g. rough breathing + accute accent) you can simply type the keys individually (e.g. first type rough breathing, then type accent, and it automatically does the combination).

3. A folder with the Logos Hebrew keyboard. Its installation is a bit trickier, but still can be done with the instructions.

4. Several fonts that are helpful:

a. Cardo is a unicode font with both Greek and Hebrew support.
b. Gentium (and Gentium Alt) is the best Greek unicode font I have seen. That is what I use for the macro, and what you have seen in my posts
c. Ezra SILSR (and Ezra SIL) are Hebrew fonts. They also work with the Hebrew keyboard.

if anyone has trouble using them, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back