Cleveland-area Presbyterian and Reformed churches

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRoper

Puritan Board Graduate
Where are the Presbyterian and Reformed churches in the Cleveland East Side suburbs? I see there are two PCA churches in Hudson (really?--two about a mile apart?), an RPCNA church in Bainbridge (my hometown!) and an OPC church in Mentor. Are there no Reformed churches in, say, Cleveland Heights? Or anywhere around there?

Just visiting or long term?

I would not recommend the church I attended when I lived up there. The only sermon I remember was delivered by guest pastor the Reverend Jessie Jackson.

Possibly long term.

It wasn't a PCA church, I trust! From what I saw the PCUSA churches are pretty far gone.

I'm just surprised that the Hungarians seem to be content with the UCC and the PCUSA. I guess it has been too many generations now. I learned that Robert Godfrey's wife is from the Cleveland Hungarian community, but she grew up baptist.

I would urge you to check out the OPC in Mentor. It is less than a half-hour (particularly on Sunday) from anywhere in Cleveland Heights.

The pastor, Geoffrey Willour, is a fine preacher and pastor. I've done a conference and preached there and they are caring and outreaching as well as sound and biblical in their liturgy and preaching.

Peace,
Alan

It's been quite a while since I was in that area. I was an assistant pastor at Faith (PCA) in Akron. I used to know both pastors in the Hudson area (the churches were once spread a bit further apart); the present pastor of Redeemer http://redeemerohio.org/ (middle of town), Scott Wright, is a good man. 10yrs ago they were an exclusive psalm-singing church (can't remember if they used a piano; I think so). I've known people in the past who might still be members of Grace. The two congregations had very different "vibes" back when. O yea, and they were once in different presbyteries! (forgot about that)

A PCA church closer to the SE edge of Cleveland seems to have folded in the past decade. If I was in your place, the Mentor OPC is where I'd probably go (naturally).

You've spotted the PCA churches down in Hudson. There's an OPC in Mentor, that may be a bit closer, and possibly on a better vector. Looks like a new work - it appears to be meeting in a Holiday Inn. http://lakeopc.net/

EPC can be a real gamble. I know nothing about the church, but it might be worth a visit: Amazing Grace Evangelical Presbyterian Church http://www.amazinggraceepc.org/about-us/our-pastor/ with a Highland Heights address. It's a little east of where you are looking, but a lot closer than the PCA and OPC options. It's inside 271 and a couple of miles north of Mayfield Road, it appears.

On the Baptist side of the fence, you might try Gateway Baptist http://gatewayheightschurch.com/about/ in Cleveland Heights. Poorly done website, and it appears that their worship style wouldn't be my cup of tea, but your options appear to be severely limited in the Heights.

The church I went to, which was probably liberal even by PCUSA standards back then, was Church of the Covenant on Euclid just inbound from Mayfield. I specifically don't recommend it. And Forest Hills in Cleveland Heights would be even worse.

Speaking of Hudson, in addition to the PCA churches, there is a good sized EPC church that came out of the PCUSA after a nasty legal fight.

I see while I was working on this post, the OPC in Mentor was already mentioned.

I am a former Ruling Elder of Grace PCA in Hudson. The pastor, Rhett Dodson, is a friend of mine. I would recommend that church. Having said that, I also know the folks at Redeemer and their pastor, Scott Wright. That would also be a good choice. Redeemer used to be in Aurora, OH and was one of two EP churches in the PCA. When the Session decided to include hymns and accompaniment (there was no piano, Bruce) one of the ruling elders and a couple of families left to start the RPCNA plant. I have no idea about them. I believe the OP church is relatively newer; it was not there when we moved in 2003 to go to seminary.

There had been attempts to think about a church plant on the East Side (specifically Shaker Heights) but nothing ever came of it.

Thanks so much for the replies. The background on the RP church is interesting. I had heard that the Aurora (now Hudson) church used to be EP, but I did not put two and two together.

Thanks for mentioning the EPC churches as I had not thought to look for them. Baptist is not an option, unfortunately, as all of our family members have been baptized as children.

Looks like there are reasonable options--just mostly in the exurbs.

Last edited:
Redeemer used to be in Aurora, OH and was one of two EP churches in the PCA.

EP what does it mean? Was part of the Evangelical Presbyterian Church? Part of the Evangelical synod? Part of the EP past 1981? I dont know the story.

EP what does it mean?

Generally, here, it means Exclusive Psalmody - they only sing from the Psalter. Can be instrumental or non-instrumental. There are a number of threads pro and con in the appropriate sections of the board.

The PCA and Ohio Presbytery have the intention of planting 6 congregations in Cleveland.
What happened the former PCA churches in Cleveland? Had the PCA congregations in Cleveland?

Had the PCA congregations in Cleveland?

The PCA never had much presence in NE Ohio. Dr. Greco would be the subject matter expert, and I'll yield to him on any points he raises, but my 1997 directory shows a church in Akron, a mission in Aurora, a church in Broadview Heights, and churches in Hudson, Medina, and Youngstown.

The PCUS had no presence in the area (it was UPUSA territory), and in that era, Cleveland was in sharp decline, losing about half of its population. So it would not, generally, have been a good target for church planting. (Indeed, the decline has continued since then but at a slower pace.) In 1950, there were almost a million people living in the City of Cleveland. By 2010, the number was under 400,000. The outer suburbs have fared better, but only in comparison to the core city.

Both of the plants that you referenced above appear to be strategic - a downtown plant, which is part of MNA's current strategy, and a plant to serve the nearby medical and academic communities.

Had the PCA congregations in Cleveland?

The PCA never had much presence in NE Ohio. Dr. Greco would be the subject matter expert, and I'll yield to him on any points he raises, but my 1997 directory shows a church in Akron, a mission in Aurora, a church in Broadview Heights, and churches in Hudson, Medina, and Youngstown.

The PCUS had no presence in the area (it was UPUSA territory), and in that era, Cleveland was in sharp decline, losing about half of its population. So it would not, generally, have been a good target for church planting. (Indeed, the decline has continued since then but at a slower pace.) In 1950, there were almost a million people living in the City of Cleveland. By 2010, the number was under 400,000. The outer suburbs have fared better, but only in comparison to the core city.

Both of the plants that you referenced above appear to be strategic - a downtown plant, which is part of MNA's current strategy, and a plant to serve the nearby medical and academic communities.
The PCA has not had a great presence in the Cleveland area historically. I was there in 1997, and your list sounds right. The church in Akron is Faith (where Bruce later was). The mission in Aurora later became Redeemer PCA in Hudson; the Hudson church is Grace (where I was). The Broadview Heights church was very small with two tent-making pastors (one a librarian, one a chaplain). I don't think it exists anymore. The Medina church is still there. Youngstown is a bit away (and in another Presbytery). While I was there we divided Great Lakes Presbytery from all of Indiana, all of Kentucky, all of Michigan, and most of Ohio into Great Lakes and Ohio Valley. Later, Great Lakes divided to form Ohio Presbytery - with some churches from the Presbytery of the Ascension, like Faith in Akron. There were thoughts about church planting in various places, but never anything actual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back