Cleaning up audio recordings? Any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
I am currently listening to a lecture series on Ecclesiastes by Johannes G Vos. The recordings were probably made on cassette before being converted to mp3. Increasing the treble and decreasing the bass has some effect but I wonder if there is any software that could automatically clean it up? My i-pod nano has "voice" settings which may or not help.

So are there filters or settings for something like winamp that would clean up the voice recordings?

You can download a free program called "Audacity". One of the features it has is to select a region that has characteristic noise (background hiss, for example). Once you have the sample, you can apply noise cleanup to the entire file. It does a fairly good job though not perfect by any means, but it may make it bearable to listen to.

Audacity - Go to effects, Noise Removal, highlight in the audio a section where there is no 'noise' (i.e. no one talking), do a profile on that. Then highlight the whole audio file, (do the same effect - noise removal), and move it one notch down. There is a point if you keep going that it will get tinny sounding, so try to find the balance.

Audacity - Go to effects, Noise Removal, highlight in the audio a section where there is no 'noise' (i.e. no one talking), do a profile on that. Then highlight the whole audio file, (do the same effect - noise removal), and move it one notch down. There is a point if you keep going that it will get tinny sounding, so try to find the balance.

:up:

Another thing you can do with some recordings is normalize them if the levels are really low. I like Audacity as a free tool but I have Adobe Audition as a Creative Suite subscriber and prefer it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back