Clark's New Book on Covenant Theology

Status
Not open for further replies.

R. Scott Clark

Puritan Board Senior
Clark\'s New Book on Covenant Theology

After an unusually long gestation, the baby appeared just before Christmas:

R. Scott Clark, Caspar Olevian and the Substance of the Covenant: The Double Benefit of Christ. Rutherford Studies in Historical Theology ed. David F. Wright (Edinburgh: Rutherford House, 2005).

From the jacket:

This volume is the most comprehensive treatment of Olevian´s theology published to date. Reflecting an impressive breadth of research and depth of analysis, it delivers on its promise at the beginning to move beyond my own work on Olevian´s covenant thought by placing his doctrine of the covenant in the context of his theology as a whole. In so doing, it offers, one might say, a duplex beneficium. First, it secures Olevian´s reputation as a significant theologian in his own right and not simply as the failed reformer of Trier, the court preacher of Heidelberg, or an author of the Heidelberg Catechism. Second, it accurately identifies his place in the development of Reformed theology as it passed from the Age of Reformation to the Age of Orthodoxy. A stellar addition to this series in historical theology.

Lyle D. Bierma, Ph.D.
Professor of Systematic Theology
Calvin Theological Seminary
Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA

Clark´s study of Caspar Olevian´s doctrine of the covenant and its "œtwofold benefit," justification and sanctification, is a fine and needed addition to the literature on the developing Reformed tradition during the sixteenth century. Contrary to the claim of some who advocate a "œCalvin against the Calvinists" approach to the development of the Reformed tradition, Clark demonstrates that Olevian´s work was "œin Calvin´s line." Since Olevian was an important contributor to the writing of the Heidelberg Catechism, Clark´s study also sheds light upon that great Reformation confession.

Cornelis P. Venema, Ph.D.
President and Professor of Doctrinal Studies
Mid-America Reformed Seminary

Dr Clark's book is a very welcome addition to the growing literature on the development of Reformed Orthodoxy in the Reformation and post-Reformation period. In a series of carefully argued chapters, he places Olevianus' thought in historical cintext and, by so doing, puts to rest a number of misconstructions of doctrinal development during this time while shedding new light upon the relationship of the theology of Olevianus to that of the Heidelberg Catechism, of Calvin and of the wider Reformed world. This is a book that should be read by all students and scholars interested in the theology of the period in general and of Olevianus in particular.

Carl Trueman, Ph.D.
Professor of Church History and Historical Theology
Westminster Theological Seminary (Philadelphia, USA).

I'm told that it is available via email at: [email protected]

The website is http://www.rutherfordhouse.org.uk/

You want "ROI (Republic of Ireland) and the Rest of the World), then "books."

It retails for 14.99 sterling (= $25.63 on 12/30/05). The good news is that the pound is weakening against the dollar so prices for us are coming down.

No, they don't have a US distributor yet, but our bookstore http://www.wscal.edu/bookstore/ is ordering copies and I think that Joel Beeke will have some too.

The book has not appeared on the RH website yet, but I expect it will after the 1st of the year.

Perhaps we on the list email them, it will happen more quickly?

Thanks,

rsc

[Edited on 1-1-2006 by R. Scott Clark]

Dr. Clark,

How would this compare (as far as the material of the study) to Dr. Bierma's own book on Olevian, The Covenant Theology of Casper Olevianus? From the description at RHB it sounds like Dr. Bierma is focussing more on disproving Olevian as the originator of covenant theology and developing the covenant in reference to assurance of salvation.

Originally posted by py3ak
Dr. Clark,

How would this compare (as far as the material of the study) to Dr. Bierma's own book on Olevian, The Covenant Theology of Casper Olevianus? From the description at RHB it sounds like Dr. Bierma is focussing more on disproving Olevian as the originator of covenant theology and developing the covenant in reference to assurance of salvation.

Reuben,

This book builds on Lyle's. His work was more focused on the technical aspects of Olevianus' covenant theology.

My work was intended to put Olevianus' work in historical context and to flesh out how Olevianus' understood his own theology. I describe the nature of his theology, it's relations to humanism and scholaticism, his doctrine of God, his doctrine of Christ, his doctrine of justification and his doctrine of sanctification.

rsc

Thanks, Dr. Clark. I guess I shall have to keep both of them in mind.

Thanks for updating that Andrew, the UK site said they wanted 15 pounds for the book but no matter how hard I searched I couldn't find an answer for "15 pounds of what?" Now I know we can just buy it for dollars. :bigsmile:

Originally posted by BobVigneault
Thanks for updating that Andrew, the UK site said they wanted 15 pounds for the book but no matter how hard I searched I couldn't find an answer for "15 pounds of what?" Now I know we can just buy it for dollars. :bigsmile:

:lol: Yes, I don't think the UK site is made up of Shylocks, but it's nice to conduct transactions in dollars all the same.

RH now says that they plan to list the book on Amazon.

It's a good thing the book only costs 15 pounds and doesn't weigh it. That could have been arranged....:p

rsc

You laugh but the guys on this board appreciate two things, the weight of God's glory and the weight (in pounds) of a musty puritan tome.

I like to take my biggest old books and leave them on the coffee table just to start a conversation with company. Or, I'll bring out Turretin and Owen and put in on the table when the pastor is coming over. When he sees what I'm reading for recreation he'll be inspired to study harder for his sermon. Everyone wins. (Kidding pastor if you're lurking) :book2:

Originally posted by R. Scott Clark

This book builds on Lyle's. His work was more focused on the technical aspects of Olevianus' covenant theology.

So one ought to read Lyle's first then? I should be receiving both yours and his from RHB any day now. I am looking forward to them!

:up:

This is my last :deadhorse: of the book, but fyi we now have copies of the book in the campus bookstore at

or

here

or

[email protected]

The bookstore promises to sell at below Amazon.com prices, which is easy just now because it isn't listed on Amazon yet! (well, Amazon.co.uk, but I don't think that counts)

rsc

Originally posted by SemperFideles
Is that a good place to buy theology books?

sure is! support them if you can, they are my local bookstore. they keep a solid selection of puritan and reformed books on hand. great people to. call them and ask for Ralph White and tell them Chris Rhoades sent you.

Originally posted by crhoades
Originally posted by SemperFideles
Is that a good place to buy theology books?

sure is! support them if you can, they are my local bookstore. they keep a solid selection of puritan and reformed books on hand. great people to. call them and ask for Ralph White and tell them Chris Rhoades sent you.
Thanks Chris.

So you're saying that I can get good theology from http://www.goodtheology.com?

(Note the lame attempt at humor)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back