Church Super Bowl Parties

Status
Not open for further replies.

skellam

Puritan Board Freshman
I found this article as I was perusing the Wall Street Journal today. Apparently, many of the Super Bowl parties in churches around the country are violating the copyright of the NFL and churches are looking for ways to get around the rules. Whether or not churches should be hosting Super Bowl parties in the first place is not a question raised in the article. But, whether churches should skirt restrictions by seeking ways to advertise without using the words "Super Bowl" is discussed.

About 50 churches have contacted the NFL this year to ask about hosting Super Bowl parties, says the league spokesman. The copyright issue has made headlines in Christian publications and generated debate and soul-searching on pastors' online message boards. "People don't want to do anything illegal in the name of Christ," says Daniel Smith, pastor of Trinity Wesleyan Church in Southgate, Mich.

Others are making adjustments to meet the regulations. The Keystone Hills Baptist Church is organizing five house parties for church members in Sand Springs, Okla. The church Web site announces: "You know the Super Sunday game we're talking about?...The one with all the expensive funny new commercials and that is usually a blowout by the 3rd quarter?...Yeah, that one."

Hey Sand Springs, OK is where my mother was raised. I bought my recently repo'd Explorer from the Ford dealer there. Too bad I dont go to that awesome church that is creeping around laws.

why would a church even want to host a superbowl party??????????

The reason is that most churches that do host them are Teetotalers and therefore have nothing better to do while watching football then sit in the same sofa they heard the so called sermon in that morning.

Note: that statement was totally playing on stereotypes and if it was wrong for me to post it please delete it and reprimand me, but I couldnt resist it.

First I will say I would not like it if my Church had a Super Bowl Sunday, with that as my disclaimer: How can turning on the Game and having a Super Bowl Sunday be an infraction of any NFL rights? I mean, look sports bars will have it on, house parties, shoot....even minimum security prisons will probably run it. Why are they picking on Churches? Like I say, I would not want it at my Church, BUT, what does the NFL think? A few Churches flicking on the game is REALLY going to gouge profits? :p

Ha, a few years back I went to an Indy Fundy college.

First, they told me I had to shave my beard to atend. I had a nice talk with the president when I responded, "What - you mean you wouldn't let Jesus or Spurgeon attend your school."

Then, I got demerits for stepping onto school property wearing shorts (I was jogging),

Then I got more demerits for not attending Wednesday night services (and then talked to the President more when I told the school that mathematically I could skip every Wednesday night and still be okay demerit-wise... if we were going to ruled-based, after all, I was going to maximize those demerits.

p.s. you had to go to an "approved" church and I had a hard time finding a church that was not arminian for half a year there.I finally found one after 8 months....an all black church... they preached real fiery!).

But the big kicker was this:

Despite all these rules, they organized a huge super bowl party. They even invited me! Of course, they laughed at me when I asked who was playing. One actually said I was being legalistic (pot calling kettle...) for not going to this on a Sunday.

Imagine their embarrassment the next day when I asked them if they got to see the wardrobe malfunction live!

First I will say I would not like it if my Church had a Super Bowl Sunday, with that as my disclaimer: How can turning on the Game and having a Super Bowl Sunday be an infraction of any NFL rights? I mean, look sports bars will have it on, house parties, shoot....even minimum security prisons will probably run it. Why are they picking on Churches? Like I say, I would not want it at my Church, BUT, what does the NFL think? A few Churches flicking on the game is REALLY going to gouge profits? :p

It's the sanctioning of the game and calling it a party that's the issue. If the church said, "We're gonna have a fellowship Sunday evening with snacks and watch some football" they would probably be safe legally. But calling it a Super Bowl party infringes on a registered trademark of the NFL.

As to whether a church should sanction having this type of "fellowship", I suppose it depends on what side of the Sabbath argument you come down on.

It's the sanctioning of the game and calling it a party that's the issue. If the church said, "We're gonna have a fellowship Sunday evening with snacks and watch some football" they would probably be safe legally. But calling it a Super Bowl party infringes on a registered trademark of the NFL.

As to whether a church should sanction having this type of "fellowship", I suppose it depends on what side of the Sabbath argument you come down on.
usually the game starts at 6:00pm, so watching the game is not a violation of the Sabbath, but there is something that is just not right when a church have people in the sanctuary watching this game. The very suggestive dancing of the cheer leaders, and certain commercials just don't fly right in a church sanctuary.

Thanks Bill, that helps explain the legal aspect of it. :book2:

Church hosting a party is a little much but getting together in fellowship at a pastor or elder's house and taking in the game would be no problem in my view.

I remember when churches were upset because people would miss the Sunday evening worship service or Bible study do the big game. I guess they've adopted the "If you can't beat them, join them" attitude. I did used to attend a church that hosted such a party but it was not for the entire church, just the youth, and they didn't air the commercials for the teens.

I remember when churches were upset because people would miss the Sunday evening worship service or Bible study do the big game. I guess they've adopted the "If you can't beat them, join them" attitude. I did used to attend a church that hosted such a party but it was not for the entire church, just the youth, and they didn't air the commercials for the teens.

100 to 1 no church that is holding a "Super Bowl" party even has an evening service...

Probably the same logic as the mega churches that canceled services in 2006 when they fell on Christmas. In America watching football is practically a religious experience, isn't it?

but there is something that is just not right when a church have people in the sanctuary watching this game. The very suggestive dancing of the cheer leaders, and certain commercials just don't fly right in a church sanctuary.

Those are some pretty good reason for not viewing the game in the church. And I didn't realize that some churches show the game in their sanctuaries. Now that is really weird. I'm afraid I couldn't attend a church that did that...but maybe that just me!

Most of the cases I have heard of involved hooking up a television tuner to a LCD projector in the youth room or fellowship hall.

A Super Bowl party at church on Sunday would be OK if everyone were scoffing at it, but if you took pleasure in watching the game- that would be a sin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back