Church Newsletter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many thanks for this. I am sent the Airdrie RPCS newsletter (Tidings) which I find a blessing, though it also reminds me how far away I live from them.

Scott, it's interesting that you posted this at this time. My husband and I are planning a visit to Scotland in September and will be spending a few days in Mallaig. Over the past few days I have been exposed to several mentions of the RP church in Stornoway and am wondering if the Lord is leading us to spend a Sunday worshipping with you folks.

Scott - We were in Scotland a couple of years ago for our pastor's doctorate graduation in Dingwall - the rest of the week was spent in Edinburgh. This year we are hoping to have 18 days which will give us three Sundays. We'll be renting a car in Edinburgh and proceed up the west coast to Glencoe and Ft William and then up to Mallaig with possibly a jump over the water to Lewis, and then start back toward Edinburgh with a few days in the Cairngorms and a stop at St Andrews. I've been researching our route on the internet and it has been a great part of the fun - I can't wait until we're actually there!

If you're in Mallaig you can get a ferry from there to Tarbert in Harris and then drive up to Lewis and Stornoway!

Last edited:
Wow! That was fast! I'll save that info for my planning notes! BTW - I understand that you folks are very Sabbatarian - would our coming over by ferry on a Sunday cause a problem? Also, I'm assuming it is a car ferry - what would be the rate? Thanks!

The ferry in Lewis only began running on a Sabbath a few years ago. As with any issue there are differences of opinion but I would imagine that most believers on the Island would not use the ferry service on the Sabbath as it is not a work of mercy or necessity and in using it we would not be spending the day as we believe Scripture commands us to in resting and in being taken up in public and private worship. That's just to give you an idea of where we're coming from on the issue.

Just a wee caveat in case I give you a bad steer that I've never taken that route from Mallaig before so I'm not familiar with it but you will get a route for Mallaig to Stornoway via Google Maps and can contact Calmac for the ferry details Official Caledonian MacBrayne Hebridean & Clyde Ferries site.

Thanks! I brought up the Sunday ferry because I didn't want to be insensitive to the issue. Maybe we'll see what B&B's are available and spend Saturday night on the island. Of course, it all depends on what our eventual schedule is but it would be neat to be able to worship with someone from the PB.

There is a RPres congregation in Edinburgh, small and new, Craig Scott would know about this. The secretary of the RPres in Airdrie is from the US and they have US students on a semester course. If you plan to visit St Andrews you will not be far from Perth. Perth is a lovely town and the church still stands in which John Knox preached, we have a PB member from Perth, Peairtach, who you could contact. If you plan to come in July, an Orange parade would be interesting with the banners and the bands - I can put you in touch with people able to tell you the best viewing positions.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back