Church Membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

(^^)Regin

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello PB wise-men,

I am sure this has been asked before or posted somewhere in the internet, I just prefer getting answers from PB wise-men. Also, I highly appreciate it if anyone can lead me to previous post in PB that is related to my questions:

• Is church membership a later form of church government used by Europeans / Americans, are there any passages in the new testament that would lead me to conclude otherwise?
  • If I were to explain the need/importance of becoming a member of a local church, what are the scriptural verses that I need to read and show to my listener.
  • What scriptural verses can you refer that can act as a 'core' for gauging the by-laws of a certain local church.
  • Is a Christian entitled/obligated/privileged to join a local church as member?

Thank you for reading, your insights are highly appreciated.
:D

Here's an excellent and short blog article from Dr. Scott Clark:

Why Membership Matters Heidelblog

He defends church membership from a throughly covenantal perspective. His thesis: membership lists/rolls have been in existence in the church in both the Old and New testaments.

Here's an excellent and short blog article from Dr. Scott Clark:

Why Membership Matters Heidelblog

He defends church membership from a throughly covenantal perspective. His thesis: membership lists/rolls have been in existence in the church in both the Old and New testaments.

I know I gave a thank you to the above writer--the credit is really to Dr. R. Scott Clark--but I really appreciate these remarks that the said Dr. Clark has written. I've been writing on this topic for some time now. I've been doing a survey of Christian doctrine in the theology of the Church, and I also think that for this group a good book on ecclesiology would also prove helpful. Frankly I think this topic on membership is really an extension of ecclesiology anyway. I'm currently working through Kevin DeYoung's book on the church, and trust me when I say that it is very helpful. The person who started this forum should probably consider reading it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back