Church Membership

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMK

Administrator
Staff member
I have been asked to teach on church membership. The church in which I have been a teaching elder for over a year has never had membership. I have been asked to present both sides of the argument even though I personally believe that churches should have membership. (And most of the expositors that I read agree)

What are some arguments against church membership other than the actual words 'church membership' do not appear in the NT? :detective: (It doesn't matter how lame the argument is, I want to provide both sides.)

One objection I've heard is along similar lines to a common objection to denominationalism - namely, that it goes against true unity with all other believers, and creates unnecessary divisions over supposedly "secondary" issues. Thus, the argument is just an off-shoot of the anti-denominationalist argument, and it basically says that formally attaching oneself to a particular church isn't properly "ecumenical."

One objection I've heard is along similar lines to a common objection to denominationalism - namely, that it goes against true unity with all other believers, and creates unnecessary divisions over supposedly "secondary" issues. Thus, the argument is just an off-shoot of the anti-denominationalist argument, and it basically says that formally attaching oneself to a particular church isn't properly "ecumenical."

So, we are all members of Christ's body, why do we need to join ourselves into little groups. This argument, then, focuses on our universal brotherhood that is taught in the Bible to the exclusion of any local body. They would probably use 1 Cor 12; 1 Pet 2:5; Eph 2:19-22.

So, we are all members of Christ's body, why do we need to join ourselves into little groups. This argument, then, focuses on our universal brotherhood that is taught in the Bible to the exclusion of any local body. They would probably use 1 Cor 12; 1 Pet 2:5; Eph 2:19-22.

Exactly.

I've struggled a lot with this issue as I can't make a good bible case for what we commonly think of regarding church membership. Becoming a "church member" in the NT is a byproduct of salvation.

I would add Acts 2:47 to the list as well:

Acts 2:47
And the Lord was adding to their number day by day those who were being saved.

Honestly, what text does one appeal to for what is commonly thought of as church membership?

Last edited:
There are some dynamics that need to be considered before making a final judgment on church membership.

1. There is no argument among believers regarding who is a member of the universal (catholic) church. All true believers are members of the church, which is Christ's body.

2. As the early New Testament church began to grow, invariably it met with dissent, discord and growing pains. Jesus warned the church of Ephesus that He would remove their lamp stand if they did not repent. They didn't and their lamp stand was removed. Obviously there was validity to local churches.

3. As the universal church grew, more and more local fellowships would be created. This was (and is today) a reality of more and more believers being added to the universal church.

4. With rise in power of Romanism, dissent was driven underground except for some notable exceptions. It was the Reformation that broke open the floodgates of denominationalism and modern day church membership.

5. Even in the early years of the Reformation there was discord. Zwingli vs. Luther is one example. While the Reformers were united in their opposition to Romanism, they also turned their attacks on each other. The early Reformed churches splintered and re-formed into various denominations. We live with their remnants today.

6. With so many different denominations, and with multiple churches (within the same denomination) in the same vicinity, membership (as we know it today) became necessary. Without a commitment to a local body there could be no accountability. With no accountability church discipline would be rendered ineffective and obsolete. Not happy with your current church? No problem, just start attending another church. To be sure, that happens today. But church membership formalizes the commitment an individual is making to a local fellowship.

Is church membership (as we know it today) biblical? If by biblical we mean a chapter and verse, then I would have to say "no." But does modern day church membership violate biblical principles? I don't think it does. I believe it is a logical and necessary accepted practice that is a direct result of the deep doctrinal differences between churches.

:2cents:

I've struggled a lot with this issue as I can't make a good bible case for what we commonly think of regarding church membership. Becoming a "church member" in the NT is a byproduct of salvation.

I would add Acts 2:47 to the list as well:

Acts 2:47
And the Lord ??was adding ??to their number day by day ??those who were being saved.

Honestly, what text does one appeal to for what is commonly thought of as church membership?

Those who argue against membership would use Acts 2:47 because they see membership as an attempt by man to 'add to' the church?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back