Church furniture and its effect on meeting (Pews v chairs)

Do you have a surface to prop your Bible on?

• Yes, traditional pew furniture with narrow shelf

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Yes, individual chairs with a wide armrest designed to support books

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • No, stackable chairs and I am expected to use my lap

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • We don't take Bibles to church because the verses are projected onto the screen

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
When I became a Christian it was in/at St. Georges Tron. At the evening service we routinely had our Bibles propped open on the "shelf" of the pew in front. Many had notebooks out and were note-taking. There was also a dimming of the lights during the service and a sense of you settling in to listen (and write).

I have attended markers meetings for the SQA where you basically have to annotate the mark scheme and pay close attention to the arguments over a 2-3 hour period (with a break for lunch. On one occasion they provided chairs. It was a disaster! We were trying to take notes on our laps!

It occurs to me that the move to stackable chairs basically causes a problem for those wanting to take notes and have an open Bible in front of them. I usually end up using the chair beside (assuming there are empty seats) and balancing a Bible on my lap.

The school music department used to use chairs with a shaped arm rest on one side designed to allow notetaking. Would this be a possibility for churches wanting flexibility in the usage of the building.

My Grandfather used to take a cushion into church, and it was accepted. I find myself thinking about taking in a bean-bad tray to allow me to take notes!

We use individual chairs with wire racks/communion cup holders underneath. But nowhere to prop our Bible or notebook while they are being used.

---------- Post added at 04:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

I'm surprised so many voted on pews withe shelves. I've never seen one like that! Only pews with places to put your Bibles upright.

The only place I've ever seen pews with shelves was in the UK. I don't think they're that common here.

I'm with everybody else. Our pews don't have shelves.

Since there wasn't an option for that, though, I just checked "We don't take Bibles to church because the verses are projected onto the screen".

That's a relief Skyler!

I'm with everybody else. Our pews don't have shelves.

Since there wasn't an option for that, though, I just checked "We don't take Bibles to church because the verses are projected onto the screen".

I was getting a bit concerned that people were in churches that didn't encourage the use of Bibles Skyler.

I am intrigued that the USA has pews without "shelves". Here in the UK it would be standard in traditional church pews to have a narrow ledge to prop your Bible up on.

I will try to add an option for "American" furniture.

When I became a Christian it was in/at St. Georges Tron. At the evening service we routinely had our Bibles propped open on the "shelf" of the pew in front. Many had notebooks out and were note-taking. There was also a dimming of the lights during the service and a sense of you settling in to listen (and write).

Was this season under Sinclair Ferguson? He has a bit of an ambivalence about note-taking.

Stackable seating with pockets for hymnal on back and narrow rack underneath (my Bible doesn't fit on it).

I chose "shelf" even though that's not the case. I guess I could lean way forward and balance it on the back of the pew in front of me, but I just use my lap/the space next to me.

I voted pews with shelves, but what we really have is what many others have mentioned, the pews with the holder for bible and hymnal. I assumed this is what the OP was talking about, because you are right, I've never seen pews with an actual shelf. I take notes every Sunday. I bring a spiral notebook for notes in Sunday school, but for worship I write my sermon notes on the order of service pamphlet thingy where we have a space for notes. I just fold it in half and kinda hold it up and use my bible for a surface to write on.

Oh and, since I'm running the sound system, I sit in the back and have plenty of surfaces to put my Bible on. Usually I set it on top of the laser printer. But I rarely take notes--usually when I'm writing it's to make a label for the master tape.

I could always sit in the balcony, and rest my Bible on the head of the person in the row ahead of me.

Never even heard of pews with shelves.

:ditto:

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

Though there is no place to prop/take notes, I try and sit where it is less crowded and set evrything on the seat next to me - Bible, Hymnal, Greek NT - so there is a constant shuffling about but I don't bother anyone. Of course now that you mentioned the little shelf thingy, now I'm the one getting bothered...

Was this season under Sinclair Ferguson? He has a bit of an ambivalence about note-taking.

It was actually during Eric Alexander's time with Sinclair as "associate"?

Regarding the shelf/ledge I will have to get a photo for our cousins across the pond!

I don't think about taking notes, but I sure wish I had had my notebook last Sunday. I ended up grabbing a piece of paper to jot down the scripture references to check out when I got home. We have folding chairs, and there usually isn't a lot of room for spreading out. I see folks with notebooks spread out on their laps.

The shelf on the pew in front seems to be a British custom. I have never seen them here in the US. I take notes during the sermon. I usually place my paper or notebook on top of the Bible in my lap as it gives extra support to whatever I'm writing on. I do this in Scotland as well. But I did use the shelf edge in front of me to rest one or both knees on! I have also seen some younger folks use it to support their heads whilst catching some shut eye during the sermon. In some FCS congregations where they didn't stand to sing I used to rest the Psalter on it.

Standard American pews, with Bible/Hymnal holder. No shelves. I've never heard of pew shelves until now. Why are those necessary? Isn't that what a lap and hands are for?

Regular pews. In our new building we will hopefully have those interlocking stackable chairs. $80 a piece though. But it will be worth it.

I like pews, but have never been in a church with the shelves. I also hold some ambivalence to note-taking as well -- mostly I note things in my Bible margin that will help the next time I need to refer to that text, but attending to a sermon is part of worship, and not really like being in a lecture hall. (Although I have gone back and listened to recordings and made extensive notes from helpful sermons.)

How about a place to kneel, even if it's just room between you and the row in front of you. I'm not kidding -- it seems more in line with what we see in scripture. I don't just mean it being something noted in the bulletin (the congregation now kneels) but the opportunity and the acceptance as a practice when appropriate during the sermon.

Also, wood pews seem more permanent. I've gone into church buildings where the pews are hundreds of years old. I bet our stack-able, padded chairs won't be around 30 years from now. But this is obviously a matter of Christian liberty and local customs. No thou-shalts on this one!

Regular pews. In our new building we will hopefully have those interlocking stackable chairs. $80 a piece though. But it will be worth it.

Sounds like top quality for stackables at that price. And not much in the way of quantity discount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back