Church Fathers Reading list

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
I've been meaning to post something like this for a while. My own take to reading the fathers was to dive right into the Schaff set. I don't recommend that, but it's better than nothing. I will start with a few intro texts to "get the feel," then I will move into primary sources, and then to leading secondary monographs.

A note on publishers. The Schaff set is universal. It's value is that everyone who reads Church Fathers have used the Schaff series, and usually reference primary sources accordingly. The down sides, though, are sometimes significant:
a) not the best font
b) double-columned.
c) older translation
d) the footnotes are usually distracting.

St Vladimir's Seminary Press has put together a fine Popular Patristics Paperback series. It is coming from an Orthodox perspective and it has titles we wouldn't recommend. However, the translations, except for the howler on Gregory of Nazianzus's On God and Christ, are quite fresh. The introductions are always top notch scholarship and occasionally world class. Further, they are relatively cheap.

Intros and Surveys.

Kelly, JND. Early Christian Doctrines. Probably the best all-around take on the fathers. Somewhat dated here and there, but certainly a standard (and be sure to pick up Kelly's bios on Jerome and Chrysostom).

Hall, Christopher. Learning Theology with the Church Fathers. It isn't earth-shaking, but it is a helpful read.

Primary Sources

Basil of Caesarea (Basil the Great). Start here. Basil was first of all direct and practical. Start with his On the Holy Spirit. You should read him in the SVS series, although his Letters in the Schaff series are a gold mine.

Gregory of Nazianzus. On God and Christ. This is Gregory's response to the Eunomian crisis. Eunomius identified the divine essence with the Father's personal property of Unbegottenness. This is Gregory's response to it. Read it in the Schaff series. The SVS misses the mark by translating "monarchia" as "monotheism," which is specifically *not* what Gregory is saying.

-------------------. Festal Orations. These are some of the orations that aren't specifically focused on a doctrinal controversy. They are a feast of light and joy (and high theology). Read the SVS, though one can also find it in the Schaff series.

Grant. Irenaeus of Lyons. This is an introduction and survey of Ireaneus's thought. The problem with diving into Irenaeus is that the first two books are hard, because Gnosticism is weird (think of an ugly child between Feminism and New Age mysticism).

Maximus the Confessor, On the Cosmic Mystery of Jesus Christ. This is the best thing ever written on Christian cosmology. I've read it probably a dozen times. SVS series.

Bray, Gerald. We Believe in One God. I recommend everything in the Ancient Christian Doctrines series.

Secondary Treatments

McGuckin, John. Saint Cyril of Alexandria and the Christological Controversy. Excellent survey of Cyril’s thought and he makes the argument that Chalcedon, far from being a Western council, specifically made Cyril the standard for Christology. When the holy fathers cried out for the basis of the faith after Scripture, they said Leo's tome was true because it represented the teachings of St Cyril. He is sphragidis ton pateron.

———–. St Gregory of Nazianzus: An Intellectual Biography. Gregory told Julian the Apostate that Julian went insane because he summoned too many demons by playing with theurgy.

Daley, Brian. Gregory of Nazianzus. Similar in format to Grant's work on Irenaeus. I include it because it has some key orations that aren't found elsewhere.

Beeley, Christopher. The Unity of Christ and In Your Light We See Light.

Radde-Galwitz, Andrew. Basil of Caesarea, Gregory of Nyssa, and the Transformation of Divine Simplicity. The best patristic book on divine simplicity. Actually, the best book on divine simplicity.

Barnes, Michel Rene. Dunamis: The Concept of Power in Gregory of Nyssa. Second best book on divine simplicity.

Anatolios, Khaled. Athanasius: The Coherence of his Thought. Probably the best text on working out the God-world relationship in Athanasius. He tries to rescue Athanasius from the charge of of “instrumentalizing Christ’s humanity,” but I am not sure he succeeds.

Gavrilyuk, Paul. Suffering of the Impassible God: Dialectics of the Patristic Tradition. Excellent discussions.

Papadakis, Aristeides, Crisis in Byzantium: The Filioque Crisis in the Patriarchate of the Gregory II of Cyprus (1283-1289) , SVS. Partly explains why East and West never could reconcile.

Bradshaw, David, Aristotle East and West: Metaphysics and the Division of Christendom. Similar to above.

Thank you for this especially the secondary source material as I've read little on the fathers that isn't explicitly RC. I remember that CS Lewis preface to Athanasius 'Incarnation' was inspiring.

Thank you for this especially the secondary source material as I've read little on the fathers that isn't explicitly RC. I remember that CS Lewis preface to Athanasius 'Incarnation' was inspiring.

It's good. I left it out because it is the one book of St Athanasius that everyone reads. His Contra Arians is much better, as he begins to work in metaphysics there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back