Chrysostom on Providence

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTK

Puritan Board Junior
This work was written by John Chrysostom near the end of his life and is now available in an English translation...

St. John Chrysostom, On the Providence of God, trans. Monk Moses (Worcester) (Platina: St. Herman of Alaska Brotherhood, 2015). Here's one of the quotes I've transcribed from this work...

John Chrysostom (349-407): Tell me how many people have been scandalized by the Scriptures? From them, how many heresies have derived the pretext for their own existence? Therefore, on account of those who were scandalized, should the Scriptures have been blotted out, or never given to begin with? Not at all! Rather, they should most certainly have been given, on account of those who would reap profit from them. As for those who are scandalized―again I will not stop saying the same things―let them impute the scandal to themselves. Those who were to derive exceedingly great profit from the Scriptures would have been wronged if the senselessness and heedlessness of the others had deprived them of this benefit from receiving the Scriptures. Therefore, do not tell me about those who are perishing. As I said in my earlier discourse, no one can be hurt by others who does not hurt himself―even if his very life is in danger. St. John Chrysostom, On the Providence of God, trans. Monk Moses (Worcester) (Platina: St. Herman of Alaska Brotherhood, 2015), chapter 15, p. 119.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back