Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher

The Christian’s Duty and Safety in Evil Times by Christopher Love (1618-1651)

"Love is without a doubt, one of my favorites writers of all time. Eminently biblical and exceedingly practical. This new work is a gem in both regards." - Dr. McMahon

Christopher Love (1618-1651) was a fiery and practical Puritan preacher. His works consist of some of the best written and preached biblical expositions in the English language.

The Christian has a number of duties to follow at Christ’s command living in such evil days. The matter of these works is wholesome, seasonable, with a great savor of Love’s gracious spirit. He manifests to the world the workings both of his heart and life, being zealously devoted to the service of Christ, and the Christian soul. He covers:

SERMON 1: Christ’s Prayer the Saint’s Support on John 17:15.
SERMON 2: A Divine Balance to Weigh All Doctrines By on 1 Thess. 5:21.
SERMON 3: A Christian’s Great Enquiry on Acts 16:30-31.
SERMON 4: A Description of True Blessedness on Luke 11:28.
ANNEXED: Edmund Calamy’s sermon, The Saint’s Rest, or Their Happy Sleep in Death on Acts 7:60.

Endeavor earnestly to make a spiritual improvement of these topics which have been put by divine providence in you your hand. And let the Lord be magnified in your conversation for all that soul-advantage which you may receive. Labor to be well rooted in the truths of the Gospel, in order to bear up courageously against the evil of these deceiving times. And because so many shamefully disgrace their profession, by their carnal self-seeking, and apostasy, therefore, you should rather hold forth the power of godliness in the ways of self-denial, and faith, to the honor of Christ.

This work is not a scan or facsimile, has been carefully transcribed by hand being made easy to read in modern English, and has an active table of contents for electronic versions.

Get the eBook here at Puritan Publications.
Get the Printed Book at our Spotlight Page.
Get the Kindle version (mobi or print) here.
Get the Google Play Version here.
Get the Nook Version here.

DutySafetyEvilTimesChristopherLove.jpg

Is this his last work chronologically? Does that mean he wrote this in prison before his beheading? I treasure his correspondence from prison with his wife.

Is this his last work chronologically? Does that mean he wrote this in prison before his beheading? I treasure his correspondence from prison with his wife.

Neither. It's the last work that his executors published that does not have a modern reprint. There are some other unpublished works, but they are no longer "around" and we are without them as far as research goes.

Actually, Matthew, I've got a good number of Love's works ready to publish that have not had mondern reprints. I bought the originals years ago and had them retypeset. It's just a matter of finding the money to publish them. I think I've got everything he ever did.

Actually, Matthew, I've got a good number of Love's works ready to publish that have not had mondern reprints. I bought the originals years ago and had them retypeset. It's just a matter of finding the money to publish them. I think I've got everything he ever did.

Thats most excellent. I hope to see them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back