Christopher Greig on the Messiah’s subjects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Messiah’s subjects are his people, because they are given to him by the Father. “No man can come to me,” saith Christ, “except the Father who hath sent me draw him.” This impossibility is the result of that aversion which every child of Adam naturally has to the holy, humbling religion of Jesus. We will not come to him that we might have life; for by nature we are sinful, and we love to remain so. When all flesh had corrupted their way, Jehovah might, without any imputation on his justice, have left them to reap the fruit of their own doings. For angels who kept not their first estate, no Saviour was provided, no arm of mercy was extended for their deliverance. But God beheld man with an eye of compassion; he said, “deliver from going down to the pit, I have found a ransom.” Jesus was appointed the captain of salvation, to conduct many sons to glory. ...

Though now we may set our mouths against the heavens in our blasphemous talk, yet the time approaches when “every mouth shall be stopped, and the whole world become guilty before God.” If we do not now submit to Jesus, to be the willing subjects of his kingdom, we shall hereafter be compelled to feign submission, for Jehovah himself hath sworn that before him every knee must bow, and that to him every tongue must confess. ...

For more, see Christopher Greig on the Messiah’s subjects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back