Christopher Columbus a Prophet and Evangelist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romans830

Puritan Board Freshman
“Who can doubt that this fire was not merely mine, but also the Holy Spirit who encouraged me with a radiance of marvelous illumination from his sacred Scriptures, . . . urging me to press forward?’. . . . With a hand that could be felt, the Lord opened my mind to the fact that it would be possible . . . and he opened my will to desire to accomplish that project . . . The Lord purposed that there should be something miraculous in this matter of the voyage to the Indies.”

“God made me the messenger of the new heaven and the new earth of which he spoke in the Apocalypse of St. John [Rev. 21:1] after having spoken of it through the mouth of Isaiah; and he showed me the spot where to find it.”

"John 10:16–-‘And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them I also must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.’ And Isaiah 60:9–-‘For, the islands wait for me, and the ships of the sea in the beginning: that I may bring thy sons from afar, their silver and their gold with them, to the name of the Lord thy God.’

“When all had abandoned me. . .in an attempt to escape death I took to the sea on a small caravel. Then the Lord came to help, saying, ‘O man of little faith, be not afraid, I am with thee.’ And he scattered my enemies and showed me the way to fulfill my promises.” In the Americas again four years later, he found himself alone. His worm-eaten ship was trapped by low waters from getting out into open sea. A local Indian cacique [ruler] had vowed to massacre the Spaniards. Some of Columbus’s men had been killed. Feverish and in deep despair, he wrote, “I dragged myself up the rigging to the height of the crow’s nest . . . Still groaning, I lost consciousness. I heard a voice in pious accents saying, ‘O foolish man and slow to serve your God, the God of all! What more did he accomplish for Moses or for his servant David? From the hour of your birth he has always had a special care of you.’ The voice continued at length and closed with “Be not afraid, but of good courage. All your afflictions are engraved in letters of marble and there is a purpose behind them all.’”

“It was the Lord who put into my mind (I could feel his hand upon me) the fact that it would be possible to sail from here to the Indies. All who heard of my project rejected it with laughter, ridiculing me. There is no question that the inspiration was from the Holy Spirit because He comforted me…. For the execution of the journey to the Indies, I did not make use of intelligence, mathematics or maps. It is simply the fulfillment of what Isaiah had prophesied.”

Last edited by a moderator:
The link in your post advocates the book of Mormon. Anything that promotes that book as scripture is not credible or trustworthy, but deceptive and demonic.

So, the progressives tend to demonize Columbus because they come at him with their anti-colonial, anti-European narrative already in place. Finding dirt on him and attributing the worst to him fits the message they want to broadcast. In a similar way, the Mormons tend to idolize Columbus because they come at him with their reverence for Old-World-meets-New-World already in place. Praising him fits their skewed theological message and their unbiblical beliefs about Christ and ancient evangelism.

We should be careful to avoid both extremes, and we should have a healthy skepticism about any Columbus commentary coming from either of these perspectives.

So, the progressives tend to demonize Columbus because they come at him with their anti-colonial, anti-European narrative already in place. Finding dirt on him and attributing the worst to him fits the message they want to broadcast. In a similar way, the Mormons tend to idolize Columbus because they come at him with their reverence for Old-World-meets-New-World already in place. Praising him fits their skewed theological message and their unbiblical beliefs about Christ and ancient evangelism.

We should be careful to avoid both extremes, and we should have a healthy skepticism about any Columbus commentary coming from either of these perspectives.
Hi Jack,

I used that site for qoutes. I don't care about the mormon stuff and def not promoting it.. CC really felt that way. Just read his letters and diaries.

“It was the Lord who put into my mind (I could feel his hand upon me) the fact that it would be possible to sail from here to the Indies. All who heard of my project rejected it with laughter, ridiculing me. There is no question that the inspiration was from the Holy Spirit because He comforted me…. For the execution of the journey to the Indies, I did not make use of intelligence, mathematics or maps. It is simply the fulfillment of what Isaiah had prophesied.”
I'm unfamiliar with the details of the C.C story, except I remember my mom singing, "Who in the world would have ever known what Columbus would do? If Queen Isabella hadn't offered her jewels in 1492." That makes a whole lot more sense now. I thought they were just fishing for rhymes--I hadn't known that his idea of the journey was widely ridiculed. This makes me more intrigued to find out more about him and his story (the real one). It will have to go onto the list of all the things I'm interested in perusing that I will get finished with when I'm through with my 7 lifetimes here on earth : )

I'm unfamiliar with the details of the C.C story, except I remember my mom singing, "Who in the world would have ever known what Columbus would do? If Queen Isabella hadn't offered her jewels in 1492." That makes a whole lot more sense now. I thought they were just fishing for rhymes--I hadn't known that his idea of the journey was widely ridiculed. This makes me more intrigued to find out more about him and his story (the real one). It will have to go onto the list of all the things I'm interested in perusing that I will get finished with when I'm through with my 7 lifetimes here on earth : )

his book titled "prophecies" is very interesting. He was convinced that the end was near and he was called to usher in the reign of Christ...ha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back