Christology and Jesus living the storyline of Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.

yasdnil

Puritan Board Freshman
Hey all. Just on the lookout for some good books/resources on the following things:

1. Christology in the NT. Specially I'm after discussion of John 1 and Hebrews 1, since I have lots of resources on Colossians 1 and Philippians 2. So a book on John's Christology would be pretty awesome. Anything along the lines of Gordon Fee's Pauline Christology but for John or the whole NT would be ideal.

On a related note, has anyone read Kostenberger and Swain's Trinity in John's Gospel? It looks like it might be a good thing for me to get. Or his Johannine Theology book too.

2. Jesus living the storyline of Israel. This is a relatively new discovery for me, and I'm not sure if I'm even referring to it correctly, but I'm after something that would help me better understand how Jesus' life is parallel to Israel's story. For example, Jesus came out of Egypt, went into the wilderness to be tempted, was baptised, has achieved the greater exodus, gave commandments on the mount (sermon on the mount), was the greater Passover lamb, etc. Is there any resource that kind of puts that all together?

Thanks guys and girls, and God bless!

1. Christology in the NT.

You are probably after Guthrie's or Ladd's Theology of the NT, which contain relevant sections of "Christology."

2. Jesus living the storyline of Israel. This is a relatively new discovery for me, and I'm not sure if I'm even referring to it correctly, but I'm after something that would help me better understand how Jesus' life is parallel to Israel's story.

One accepted designation is "typological recapitulation of Israel." This has emerged out of redaction criticism in relation to the Gospel of Matthew, and can be used for good or ill. Carson's contribution to Matthew in the Expositor's Bible Commentary might be the most useful in this area. See especially his discussion on the out of Egypt passage, and follow his comments on the cited passages.

Thank you Matthew for your suggestions.

2. Would you suggest Carson and Beale's OT use in the NT book as well?

Carson & Beale is a reference-work, a specialized encyclopedia. It is also as big a book (physically) as an old Strongs or Youngs Concordance.

It's fairly eclectic, as far as doctrinal traditions go, the contributors being from all over the spectrum. After a short introduction to each NT book, the discussion progresses by examining all the verses and passages seriatim that the exegete believes does-or-may (degree of confidence) have behind it a preexisting (i.e. OT) biblical conception, drawn from one or several OT texts.

In other words, it's not meant to "make the OT come alive" as pointing everywhere to Christ. At places, it could do that, but you will also find the NT using the OT is lots of other ways. This reference work is not an OT study.

2. Jesus living the storyline of Israel. This is a relatively new discovery for me, and I'm not sure if I'm even referring to it correctly, but I'm after something that would help me better understand how Jesus' life is parallel to Israel's story. For example, Jesus came out of Egypt, went into the wilderness to be tempted, was baptised, has achieved the greater exodus, gave commandments on the mount (sermon on the mount), was the greater Passover lamb, etc. Is there any resource that kind of puts that all together?

This is a major feature of A New Testament Biblical Theology by G.K. Beale. It's probably your best and most comprehensive resource to start with.

Thank you Matthew for your suggestions.

2. Would you suggest Carson and Beale's OT use in the NT book as well?

Actually, I'd forgotten about Beale's NT Theology until Jacob mentioned it. I haven't had an opportunity to purchase it yet so I can't comment on quality, but reviews would suggest it is the type of work you are looking for in relation to typological recapitulation. It will probably also be more germane than Guthrie or Ladd to the Christological issues you are examining.

Although I don't agree with all the decisions regarding the NT's use of the OT, and it seems to me that there are a number of allusions which have been overlooked, Carson and Beale have provided the best work on that subject, and it will be useful in those passages of Matthew's Gospel which touch on recapitulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back