Christmas Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripel

Puritan Board Senior
For those of you who (like me) listen to Christmas music this time of year, what particularly are you listening to? Which artists/albums?
I'll post mine in a minute...

(Note: This thread is not for the purpose of debating the pros and cons of Christmas. Nor is it for the purpose of discussing the pros and cons of particular Christmas songs. It's a thread simply for those of us who enjoy Christmas music to share what's playing in our stereo/car/ipod this time of year.)

Listening to Nat King Cole right now.

album-the-christmas-song.jpg

and the pipes are up next.
51JQ4SZ2VFL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Been listening to Messiah (Handel, of course), and I haven't heard it yet, but I always enjoy hearing "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas" on the radio this time of year. :D

OK, here's what I have rotating through my iTunes.

Handel's Messiah
The John Rutter Christmas Album
John Boswell - Festival of the Heart
Bing Crosby - White Christmas
Sinatra, Dino, etc - Christmas with the Rat Pack
Harry Connick, Jr. - When My Heart Finds Christmas
Harry Connick, Jr. - What a Night!
Diana Krall - Christmas Songs
Steve Barta - Twelve Days of Christmas
Steve Barta - Christmas Around the World
The Three Tenors Christmas
The Very Best of Celtic Christmas
Everything by Mannheim Steamroller

Also some random tracks by Nat King Cole, Johnny Mathis, Julie Andrews, Springsteen, you know...the usuals.

christmas wrapping by the waitresses....
not sure why, but i love that tune
anything from the muppets christmas carol...

but NOTHING! compares with Handel's Messiah

I keep hearing about Handel's Messiah but I've never heard a song by him (them?).

Handel = 17th century composer (contemporary of Bach)
Messiah = very important opera by him about the birth, passion, and resurrection of Christ, and the founding of the church.

Are you messing with me or did you really think it was a band? :p

These guys are good for some moody, atmospheric Christmas music:
51dGvs8lkqL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

And I'd like to listen to this album of Loreena McKennitt's as well, for her other winter albums have been quite good:
1229470381_loreenaqo0.jpg

Edit: Now that I look at that second album cover, I begin to detect some vaguely heathenish looking elements in it. Don't worry, guys, I don't believe in Druidic critters tying red ribbons around oaks or anything...at least, I don't think so...

Last edited:
Elvis, of course....

url

Or this guy....

url

This guy...

url

These guys....

url

These guys....

url

Or best of all, these guys...

url

I keep hearing about Handel's Messiah but I've never heard a song by him (them?).

I can't tell from what you wrote if you were joking or not but even if you weren't I'd still say I'm quite sure you've heard pieces of it since Handel's Messiah is a piece of music which nearly everyone on the planet could say, "oh, yes, I've heard that". It's one of those things that we even have in the public schools because it has so heavily influenced us nationally here in the US in our history that not to hear it at school would be to miss an important piece of our history. You can here pieces of it in comercials on TV or in movies, even.

Here's a link to a piece from the Hallelujah Chorus. Listen and let me us know if you can still stay 'nope': [video=youtube;nnHksDFHTQI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnHksDFHTQI[/video]

I happen to be listening right now. Here's my list:
Tran-Siberian Orchestra, Mannheim Steamroller, Kenny G, Celine Dion, Charlie Brown Christmas, Kirk Franklin, TriCity Singers, and my new favorites STRAIGHT NO CHASER.

[video=youtube;cAg23jcrq7s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAg23jcrq7s&feature=related[/video]

[video=youtube;TOvRDW4u590]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOvRDW4u590[/video]

I like this one very educational, and the entire album for that reason.

[video=youtube;snURV57_tjo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snURV57_tjo[/video]

Handel
Bing Crosby
Frank Sinatra
Harry Connick, Jr.
Il Divo
Amy Grant
Buddy Greene
Straight Up, No Chaser

and more

Had a great laugh earlier today with this one:

[video=youtube;MUELu8o5KJg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUELu8o5KJg[/video]

I have to work both Christmas eve and day in a retail call center. Since I'm the supervisor, I'll spend my Christmas being screamed at by people who, for some reason, didn't get their shipments. Thus I'm not really celebrating anything this season, nor listening to Christmas music.

Theognome

George Frederic Handel (1685-1767), German composer who spent much of his adult life in England. Messiah, NOT The Messiah (as it is so often called) is an oratorio, and the work he is best known for.

Third Day "Christmas Offerings" and the Shane and Shane christmas album are both favorites and let us not forget Aud Lang Syne.

Third Day "Christmas Offerings" and the Shane and Shane christmas album are both favorites and let us not forget Aud Lang Syne.
Auld Lang Syne is for New Year not Christmas!!
Except for Messiah, for Christmas I couldn't listen to anything but cathedral choirs (with boy trebles) singing traditional SATB carols. It's a British thing.

I have to work both Christmas eve and day in a retail call center. Since I'm the supervisor, I'll spend my Christmas being screamed at by people who, for some reason, didn't get their shipments. Thus I'm not really celebrating anything this season, nor listening to Christmas music.

Theognome

Praying for you.

I like Third Day's Christmas Offering. I also like the Casting Crowns Peace on Earth. I think my personal favorites have been all of the recitals we have had the opportunity to go see this season. Our Chamber and Youth Orchestra played some Maneheim Steamroller, Holly and Ivy, etc. and that was a blessing. We heard some excellent pianist Monday night and then a really good choir last night. I love and prefer live music anyday!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back