Christians and Body Building

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you think it's okay for a Christian to be involved in body building competitions where one has to wear a tiny bathing suit, get all oiled up, and pose for everyone?

I ask because I know someone who does this and has the pictures all over his Facebook account. Let's just say I wouldn't want my fiance looking at them, and he gets all kinds of comments from girls. I sent him a message asking if he doesn't think that it could be a stumbling block, and told him that I for one wouldn't want my wife seeing another guy like that, but he never replied to me. Should I send another message? Am I wrong here?
stop the hate :)

Bodybuilding is a sport that requires the utmost discipline in the sculpting and care of the body. The life of a bodybuilder is severely regimented in terms of diet, sleep hours, work hours.

But maybe, just maybe this guy is using this "honorable sport" as a means to get women. But this vanity is in all sports that guys participate in.

Not hating, just looking out for our daughters. :)

Do you think it's okay for a Christian to be involved in body building competitions where one has to wear a tiny bathing suit, get all oiled up, and pose for everyone?

Lifting weights for exercise is not the same as the sport of bodybuilding.

Life is to short to spend hours sculpting our bodies and trying to bring out the striations on our glutes.
I think we ought to making sure we are right with God by spending more time in prayer reading our Bibles spending time with our families and training our children.

Yeah, I know. That's why I said "body building competitions where one has to wear a tiny bathing suit, get all oiled up, and pose for everyone" instead of "lifting weights for exercise." I did some weight lifting for exercise just this afternoon, actually!

While I agree...

Life is to short to spend hours sculpting our bodies and trying to bring out the striations on our glutes.
I think we ought to making sure we are right with God by spending more time in prayer reading our Bibles spending time with our families and training our children.

While I agree with your quote; how does spending hours on the piano, hours running, hours learning the art of slight of hand (magic), hours studying nature, hours learning foreign languages other than Greek or Hebrew, hours studying anything but scripture and being in prayer.......???

So, although your point is good, the above uses of time are seldom questioned, and body building, also builds discipline, of the mind...because, it's no easy task...in many ways, it's dying to self want, because of dieting, no pain-no gain, etc. So there are many biblical, character traits, that can be developed, through body building. And, if done without drugs, is actually, just a form of taking our God given bodies to their "perfection". If, in fact, it's healthy.

Now, wearing the undies...that's another story, a modesty question, but the guys wearing those things, I think, are not attractive to most women. I don't believe it's an issue there, anymore, than a diver, wearing his suit for his sport.:2cents:

Are women really attracted to bodybuilders anyway?

Also, if sports are legitimate then body building is probably legitimate as a sports that stresses discipline and hard work. It is better than eating twinkies all day.

Also, if they are trying to care for their bodies and make the most out of what God gave them physically, then how isn't this biblical? They are taking the best care of what God has given them (unless they take roids).

Male bodybuilders on swimsuit covers is not the same as women on swimsuit covers. The male eye is especially vulnerable to visual stimuli whereas women often READ their erotica.

Is swimmers wear speedos for their sport, then we need to condemn them as well...and tennis players and practically every single person that competes in the olympics. Except maybe those skiers.

I think our fat overfed country could probably do well to be little more healthy and try to give shape to their bodies (besides oval).

Paul speaks of wrestling and boxing and compares Christian discipline to these sports (where the competitors did not wear much). Of course, this does not prove too much.

And as far as people spending hours and hours inthe gymn every week, if we have "free time" spent on exercising versus watching tv, talking, etc, it appears that regular exercise would be the better use of one's time in most cases.

Body building is a sport to try to maximize the limits of the human body. Perhaps there is vanity for those involved, but as a sport I do not see it as per se evil.

AAAggghhhh, you little puny people. Wimpy people read the NIV!! I can bench press my KJV. I wear skimpy outfits only my wife can see! UUUUGGGHHHH. I show the little wussy men of my country. I'm hear to pump you up!!! Lift up and read the KJV before I go Power Team'n on y'all. I'm Hans, I'm one with Jesus, and we're hear to disciple you up!!! A raw egg and a few thou's and thee's for you.

Just joking, (I hope it comes through), it's o.k. except for the skimpy outfits. It's 2 am and I've had a hard day at work, so my silliness factor is on 10. My wife makes the best coffee in the world, but I digress.

I think that Adam looked more ripped than a prime Arnold Schwarzenegger.

I have been on a weight lifting regiment for the passed 10 months and I marvel at the differences in my body in that it is truly a work of God. When one lets their body go south by not taking care of it, it gets ugly, fatty and flabby. When one takes care of their body it becomes muscular and well sculpted.

stop the hate :) :smug: and appreciate greatness and join the bandwagon :cool:

if I had it my way, all christian men would be mandated to bench 200 lbs, leg press 350 lbs and squat 250 whilst running 6 miles in a maximum of 70 minutes :sing:

I ask because I know someone who does this and has the pictures all over his Facebook account. Let's just say I wouldn't want my fiance looking at them, and he gets all kinds of comments from girls. I sent him a message asking if he doesn't think that it could be a stumbling block, and told him that I for one wouldn't want my wife seeing another guy like that, but he never replied to me. Should I send another message? Am I wrong here?

I see nothing Biblically wrong with bodybuilding, or even posing in skimpy "posing trunks" within the context of a competition. The goal is to compare physiques, not to cause lust.

If a woman has a problem with lust when she looks at those pictures or at those men, then she shouldn't look at them. However, I will tell you the majority of women I know think bodybuilders look disgusting. My wife thinks the bulging bodybuilder types are unattractive, so I have no problem with her seeing those guys in their tiny trunks. If Brad Pitt were posing, I might have to cover her eyes...;)

I see nothing Biblically wrong with bodybuilding, or even posing in skimpy "posing trunks" within the context of a competition. The goal is to compare physiques, not to cause lust.

If a woman has a problem with lust when she looks at those pictures or at those men, then she shouldn't look at them. However, I will tell you the majority of women I know think bodybuilders look disgusting. My wife thinks the bulging bodybuilder types are unattractive, so I have no problem with her seeing those guys in their tiny trunks. If Brad Pitt were posing, I might have to cover her eyes...;)
same here. As long as the body builder doesn't go around singing, "Too sexy for my shirt", its all good.

Some men choose this as a career, as they are more gifted symmetrically and proportionally to excel in the sport. And so, they use their gifts to provide for their own. Pictures on the internet could be of use to further promote one's career in such a sport. If it is done only out of desire for attention and affirmation of ourselves, then it is to be lumped together with the other hundred things we do everyday in seeking the same, in placing the glory of man over the glory of God, and will diminish as we are sanctified more over time.

Blessings!

Last edited:
I am all for staying in shape and fulfilling the responsibility of being good stewards of our bodies. As a 32 yr old father of eight I spend about 1 1/2 - 2 hours in distance cardio and weights, four to six days every week ,and find this necessary for stress relief and physical preparation for the chaplaincy.

However, and I frequently remind myself of this when my vanity begins to get the better of me, the great apostle to the Gentiles told his dear apprentice Timothy that "bodily training is of small benefit, but godliness is of benefit in every way..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back