Christian Focus "Marrow"

Status
Not open for further replies.

py3ak

Unshaven and anonymous
Staff member
I have been very pleased with the way that Christian Focus publications has laid out and edited their edition of the Marrow of Modern Divinity, because it has made it easy to get the benefit of Boston's notes without undue interruptions of the flow of the text.

However, I found three mistakes today, which will hopefully be corrected in subsequent printings.

On p.185 they left out the phrase, " 'If thou do it not, thou shalt die;' the other saith," - this omission destroys the symmetry of the set of contrasts between the law as it is the matter of the covenant of works and as it the matter of the law of Christ.

Then on p.186 where the word should be "razed" it is spelled "raised" - an error which the reference to Boston's note on the same page clearly manifests.

On page 192 the text "All power is given unto me", etc., is incorrectly referenced as Matthew 27:18-20; those words appear in Matthew 28.

Good catches, Ruben. How do you have time for such careful (proof)reading when you seem so busy piling up corpses like cordwood in your living room?

I blame Chicago Title. After proofreading numerous legal descriptions, errors in anything you read attentively but without overpowering emotion are fairly likely to smite you.

But perhaps it is time to have a fire sale.

You should see the list of typographical and formatting errors I sent to Dr. Beeke with regard to the RHB reprint of Marshall's Gospel Mystery of Sanctification. :) I do get a certain satisfaction out of proofreading, but so far it's only lucrative in a small way.

This error is larger in scope, though perhaps not in importance, to the previous ones I mentioned.

On p.201 they completely leave out a statement by Antinomista, which leaves two remarks by Evangelista back to back with inadequate context for the second one. This is what was left out:

Antinomista But, by your favour, sir, I am persuaded that many a man deceives his own soul by these marks and signs.

It should go between Evangelista's statement that ends "...nor himself disposed to any good thing?" (with the addition of Boston's short note "[Namely, habitually.]" and the one that begins, "Indeed, I must needs confess with Mr Bolton...."

Then on p.202 there is a typo which makes the statement rather nonsensical:
"Indeed, says Luther, the matter would even so far as you say...." - it should be "fare as you say...."

Last edited:
May I presume you will forward these to Mr. Mackenzie, when you are finished with the compilation?

Yes, I plan to let CFP know. That's partly why I posted here - if someone else finds any and posts to this thread then we can give a fuller list.

More: On p. 237 it reference "John 12:1" but the quote is from John 13:1. The incorrect references I've cited also mean that the index (pp.380,381) also needs to be corrected.

On p.275 evangelista quotes Virel, but it should of course be Viret.

On p.307, in the opening paragraph under the seventh commandment heading, it has "that is, though shalt not think, will, speak, or do anything", but of course it should be "thou shalt not" etc. The same error, "though" for "thou" appears on p.309 in the beginning of the section on the 8th commandment. The odd thing is that "thou" occurs three times in that little speech by Evangelista, and only once is it incorrect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back