Christian Employees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puritan Board Freshman
A friend asked me recently how a Christian ought to behave in the work place, if one should stand out or not. While I was answering her question I couldn't help but wonder how many other Christians wondered the same thing. I am presenting here a link to my absolute favorite author (though William Gurnal is fast surpassing him!) A. W. Pink's chapter "Christian Employees" in his book Practical Christianity.

http://www.pbministries.org/books/pink/Practical/prac_12.htm

Anyone have any additional thoughts concerning our walk in the workplace?

[Edited on 5-11-2005 by Loriann]

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Good article. I would also commend William Gouge's On Domesticall Duties (dealing with duties of masters and servants), Max Weber's The Protestant Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism, Richard Steele's The Religious Tradesman, and Richard Baxter's A Christian Directory among other good resources on this subject.

Andrew, very interesting (and conicidental) that you mention Weber... i recently was forced to read some of him for school...do you think his characterisation of calvinism and reformation theology was correct?

Mark,

I look to this book primarily as being helpful in understanding the connection between Calvinism and economic prosperity from a historical, theological and cultural point of view.

I don't know Weber's precise religious beliefs and there are some characterizations of Calvinism in his book with which I would disagree but overall I find it profitable reading regarding the economic analysis, which is not to say that I am commending him as a theologian, which he was not.

I started this previous thread on his book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back