Christ, the Son of God and Man

Was Jesus' body formed using Mary's "flesh" (her egg)?

• Yes

Votes: 22 91.7%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok - so the consensus is that Jesus was formed from the flesh of Mary, but that flesh was not corrupted?

Moderation

One thing that I want to make clear to all (and for those who may be reading and not posting). It's not merely a matter of consensus that Jesus was formed of Mary's substance. It's confessional. Keep the discussion within those bounds.

I'm not against hashing out questions. Just remember our rules.

Mod off

I'm gone for a bit.

Final post - for my edification - please point out the sections in the confession so I can go back and review to direct my thinking. Thanks and sorry for starting a controversial thread.

"Seed OF the woman." Seed of anything implies production of "like kind" from the originator. After this, and the other arguments adduced to tie Christ to our race by incontrovertible facts, I can't see any reason for objections. Jesus was of Mary's BODY.

Christ was born "sin-free" not essentially because of his not having a father, though there certainly may be some argument to be made there. No, he was born without sin because he was conceived and born according to promise, and not according to nature. And he was this beyond anything found in the types and shadows. Isaac, miracle baby. Samson, miracle baby. Jesus--miracle of miracle babies. Born according to Promise and by the Spirit, Gal. 4:23, 29.

As for clones, if they could be born, are they born according to nature or Promise? Nature, of course, even if it is perverse. Nature is perverse in any case, so doubly perverse.

Nope - I am saying Jesus was born in the natural way, thus under Law, but supernaturally conceived as fully human flesh, thus free from the curse.

Galatians 4:4 (New American Standard Bible)

4But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law,

I think they substantiate the paradigm.

thanks for the warning - I am going to pause for awhile, since the thread is heating up, but I want to state that nothing I am stating purposefully or willfully goes against Scripture or Confession.

I am well aware of the heresies associated with the wrong understanding of Jesus' humanity, which is why I am trying to vet the paradigm with my brethren, to insure my thoughts do not venture into that area.

I confess that Jesus is fully Man in His humanity and fully God in His divinity.

So do you not think that Christ is Mary's seed, I mean as in coming from her flesh also? Do you believe that Mary is only an incubator?

(Gen 3:15) And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

NASB...

(Gen 3:15) And I will put enmity
Between you and the woman,
And between your seed and her seed;
He shall bruise you on the head,
And you shall bruise him on the heel."

I am well aware of the heresies associated with the wrong understanding of Jesus' humanity, which is why I am trying to vet the paradigm with my brethren, to insure my thoughts do not venture into that area.

Your paradigm -- that Jesus did not inherit any of his humanity/flesh from Mary -- has been shown to be out of the bounds of Reformed theology and the Confessions. There's no more vetting to do. :D

Your paradigm -- that Jesus did not inherit any of his humanity/flesh from Mary -- has been shown to be out of the bounds of Reformed theology and the Confessions. There's no more vetting to do. :D

And out of bounds to the scriptures to which the Confessions are built upon. Sounds like Paradigm is redefine.

ok - so the consensus is that Jesus was formed from the flesh of Mary, but that flesh was not corrupted?

Moderation

One thing that I want to make clear to all (and for those who may be reading and not posting). It's not merely a matter of consensus that Jesus was formed of Mary's substance. It's confessional. Keep the discussion within those bounds.

I'm not against hashing out questions. Just remember our rules.

Mod off

I'm gone for a bit.

Final post - for my edification - please point out the sections in the confession so I can go back and review to direct my thinking. Thanks and sorry for starting a controversial thread.

JD I posted a portion of Chapter 8 of the WCF above:

http://www.puritanboard.com/f48/Christ-son-god-man-34521/#post427750

I think Bruce and DannyHyde have said it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back