Christ’s zeal was sweet zeal

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Hugh Binning, Works, p. 570:

Christ’s zeal was sweet zeal. It might well consume or eat him up within, but it did not devour others without. “The zeal of thy house” (says he) “hath eaten me up.” But our zeal is like the Babylonian furnace, that burnt and consumed these that went to throw the pious children into it. At the first approaching it gets without the chimney, and devours all around it. If the meekness or gentleness of a person who received the greatest injuries that ever any received, and to whom the greatest indignities were done, and who endured the greatest contradiction of sinners, – if his calm composed temper do not soften our spirits, mitigate our sharpness, and allay our bitterness, I know not what can do it. I do not think but if any man considered how much long-suffering God exercises towards him, how gentle and patient he is, after so many provocations, how Jesus Christ doth still forgive infinite numbers of infinite wrongs done to his grace, how slow he is to wrath, and easy to be entreated, surely such a man would abate much of his severity towards others; he would pursue peace with all men, and esteem little of wrongs done unto him, and not think them worthy of remembrance; he would not be easily provoked, but he would be easily pacified. In a word, he could not but exercise something of that gentleness and meekness in forbearing and forgiving, as Christ also forgave him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back