Chrislam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if their Q'ran copies are actually an accurate translation. There is only one that has not been 'adjusted' in order to not offend Western sensibilities. It is a work done by Usama Dakdok. He is a native Arabic speaker who is a Christian. I have a copy and almost all of the other standard translations. The differences are remarkable. I was give it by a friend who is an Arabic (Palestinian) Christian. His family have been Christians for nearly 2000 years. He's from Nazareth, btw. I have had several other native Arabic speakers, both Christian and Muslim, tell me that it is much closer to the Arabic.

Many Muslims will tell you that there is no such thing as an accurate translation of the Qur'an because the Mother Book in Heaven is in Arabic and prayers and readings of the Qur'an should also be in Arabic.

Actually, that is what I get most of the time from 'devout' Muslims.

James White's updated edition of The King James Only Controversy: Can You Trust Modern Translations? has an excursus in the first chapter explaining the logical and historical inconsistency of the Qur'an and it's manuscript tradition. He shows that the Qur'an cannot be validated on its "accuracy" because Uthman burned all the other variant readings. This is what Dr. Aland (United Bible Society, to wit, USB) refers to when he speaks about the tenacity of the New Testament; we can know what the original reading of the NT is because of the large body of NT manuscripts and its variants. The Qur'an doesn't have this sort of accuracy since Uthman burned everything else which contradicted other Qurra (reciters). I hope this helps.

From Rick Warrens Twitter page about an hour ago:
"Only a fool believes all he hears" Pr14:15. Help dispel the lie of #Chrislam -a foolish rumor. Jesus is the only Way.

Thanks for the correction. The 9th Commandment calls on us to be vigilant about the reputations of our neighbors. I would add that we must be ever more so about what we say about those with whom we already know we disagree.

Take it from an old guy. It is VERY embarrassing to be called to account by someone against whom your hyperbole got the better of you.

As far as Warren goes, I hear him saying nothing more than the notion of co-belligerency, taking stands on common issues with people with whom you have major disagreements.

Remember, though, that Warren's D.Min. comes from a school that positions itself as offering a "third way" between liberal and conservative positions. The president of that school has done much in the way of "dialog" with Mormons, Muslims, and Jews. Warren's social agenda is global. And, in that venue, Franklin Graham is about the only guy I know of who still takes a firm rhetorical stand against Islam (one of the reasons I give money to Samaritan's Purse on occasion).

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the prevalence of the school of thought that goes somewhat like, "If you're a sincere Muslim/tribal-religionist/atheistic-seeker-after-truth you are saved", I am not so surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back