Choosing a Seminary

Status
Not open for further replies.

pre-seminary?

Puritan Board Freshman
Hey everyone, just looking for some feedback from some other reformed folk regarding my different seminary options. As a member of the CRC I naturally have several people encouraging me to go to Calvin Theological Seminary, but I feel CTS may have liberalized too much for my liking on issues like Female Clergy, etc. Any information on other seminaries standing in the reformed tradition? Does anyone have personal experience with Covenant, Westminster East/West, Mid-America? Others? Any info would be greatly appreciated......

If you are a member of the CRC, then you are REQUIRED to attend Calvin for at least one year according to your book of order. If you choose another seminary, you will still have to do a year before ordination. I know a lot of CR ministers who have struggled through this- and I don't know any that have gotten around it.

Thanks Pastor Eshelman, I'm actually aware of that practice in the CRC. I suppose I'm beginning to wonder if I'm being called to explore my denominational options while in Seminary and make a more informed decision from there. I'm not sure if ministry in the CRC is my goal.

As an Ontarian, you ought to consider the Toronto School of Theology (TST) -- Wycliffe College, Knox College, Emmanuel College, etc... actually, Wycliffe and Knox are the only TST colleges I might recommend. Well, maybe only Wycliffe.

TST, generally speaking, is to the 'left' of Calvin to be sure, but Wycliffe at any rate is a solidly evangelical, moderately conservative and Reformed, and academically rigorous school at which to study for the M.Div. From a practical perspective, a University of Toronto degree (TST degrees are conferred conjointly by the member college and the U of T) may stand you in better stead when it comes to finding employment, particularly within Canada.

I was raised Baptist, but I had a similar struggle as you. My friends and family were within 2 hr of Calvin, as I've been a Michigan resident all my life. Calvin offered me cheap housing, a decent scholarship, and I even knew friends who were going there for their undergrad. It is a beautiful campus with a long history and a great heritage.

But I don't like where the CRC are going, and Calvin is not just following in its wake but rather steering the ship. I don't like the liberal turn they are taking: women ordination, the fact that they are bringing to the table possible acceptance of the Belhar confession and homosexual clergy (a complicated issue, because they affirm homosexuality as a sin), and other issues. These are red flags that make me tense thinking that I would soak up their teachings like a sponge and be mentored by the current faculty who are largely party to this.

I am not saying Calvin is all bad, nor am I saying that someone should go to any seminary uncritically. But I will say that it was a very difficult decision. I had to separate from my girlfriend, family and friends, accept a lower scholarship and live in a harsher neighborhood away from everyone who is dear to me. However, I'm getting better education and a conservative foundation, with an equally rich heritage (in my opinion). I can't regret that decision, even though it was hard. Very hard. I am now at Westminster, in Philly. It is excellent here.

But I don't like where the CRC are going, and Calvin is not just following in its wake but rather steering the ship. I don't like the liberal turn they are taking: women ordination, the fact that they are bringing to the table possible acceptance of the Belhar confession and homosexual clergy (a complicated issue, because they affirm homosexuality as a sin), and other issues. These are red flags that make me tense thinking that I would soak up their teachings like a sponge and be mentored by the current faculty who are largely party to this.

I am not saying Calvin is all bad, nor am I saying that someone should go to any seminary uncritically. But I will say that it was a very difficult decision. I had to separate from my girlfriend, family and friends, accept a lower scholarship and live in a harsher neighborhood away from everyone who is dear to me. However, I'm getting better education and a conservative foundation, with an equally rich heritage (in my opinion). I can't regret that decision, even though it was hard. Very hard. I am now at Westminster, in Philly. It is excellent here.[/QUOTE]

It sounds like you were once in a very similar situation to mine athanatos.... As a member of the CRC calvin would offer me very significant financial aid, I have relatives that work there, my sister is a nursing student at their undergraduate institution, etc.... But I just don't know if I'd be comfortable there, I don't mind being on the far right in conversations with peers, but my reasons for going to seminary would be different, I wan't to go there to learn, not to change minds.

Westminster is definitely on my radar, I appreciate the way they seem to be accepting students from a broadly reformed background while at the same time maintaining a commitment to conservative, biblical, reformed Christianity

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

I was raised Baptist, but I had a similar struggle as you. My friends and family were within 2 hr of Calvin, as I've been a Michigan resident all my life. Calvin offered me cheap housing, a decent scholarship, and I even knew friends who were going there for their undergrad. It is a beautiful campus with a long history and a great heritage.

I am not saying Calvin is all bad, nor am I saying that someone should go to any seminary uncritically. But I will say that it was a very difficult decision. I had to separate from my girlfriend, family and friends, accept a lower scholarship and live in a harsher neighborhood away from everyone who is dear to me. However, I'm getting better education and a conservative foundation, with an equally rich heritage (in my opinion). I can't regret that decision, even though it was hard. Very hard. I am now at Westminster, in Philly. It is excellent here.

It sounds like you were once in a very similar situation to mine athanatos.... As a member of the CRC calvin would offer me very significant financial aid, I have relatives that work there, my sister is a nursing student at their undergraduate institution, etc.... But I just don't know if I'd be comfortable there, I don't mind being on the far right in conversations with peers, but my reasons for going to seminary would be different, I wan't to go there to learn, not to change minds.

Westminster is definitely on my radar, I appreciate the way they seem to be accepting students from a broadly reformed background while at the same time maintaining a commitment to conservative, biblical, reformed Christianity

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 AM ----------

*** I suppose my "comfortability" shouldn't be the issue, if I'm uncomfortable because of the discomforting but biblical truths I learn in seminary that's fine, but if I'm uncomfortable because of a liberal atmosphere, that's not fine..... haha

Reformed Theological Seminary and Covenant Theological Seminary should both be good. I seriously considered both, and was accepted at Covenant theological. They have a great admissions office. Very friendly, helpful and courteous.

There's no one seminary that's going to be the best for everybody, and it largely depends what you want to get out of it and what your career plans are.

Are you planning on being a Pastor? Missionary? Professor? If a minister, I would try to figure out which denomination you want to serve before you go to seminary.

There's no one seminary that's going to be the best for everybody, and it largely depends what you want to get out of it and what your career plans are.

Are you planning on being a Pastor? Missionary? Professor? If a minister, I would try to figure out which denomination you want to serve before you go to seminary.

This is good counsel. If you believe in presbyterian government (like the CRC does), then you will want to be under the authority of a presbytery or classis. They will be the ones that judge your gifts, abilities, and calling. There are too many free agents in seminary- Maybe you should begin with looking at where you would want your family to worship and then place yourself under good elders/pastors/teachers/ and the courts of the church.

Free agents are people that are not at seminary under the authority of a church governing body. Many men go into seminary because they want to be something and they skip the initial process of asking the body of Christ whether he should even consider seminary. Men should be in seminary under the authority of Christ's Church if they are seeking ordination/office.

Thanks guys, these are all things I'm keeping in mind. Alan: Mid-America was definitely on my radar already but thank-you!

Yeh I was going to say what he said ^
You'll get very good reformed teaching there, only problem I have with them is their organ nonsense :p
Never heard of Bilkes, I'll have to look him up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back