Chicago Seminaries or Good Colleges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattbauer

Puritan Board Freshman
Anybody know of any good colleges or seminaries in Chicago area? I know Moody is up there and don't know anything about it.

Mid America Reformed Seminary is south of Chicago in Dyer, IN.
Othe than Trinity and Wheaton, the only other Christian 'school' I know of is Moody Bible Institute.

My close friend's boyfriend is at moody training to become a pastor. But I assume moody is Dispensational-arminian "I assume".

blade

I'm pretty positive its Dispensational, but i'm thinking its calvinistic. Thats the word on the street though. Maybe i'll look into mid america, do you know anything about it?

Originally posted by puritansailor
Mid America Reformed Seminary is south of Chicago in Dyer, IN.
Othe than Trinity and Wheaton, the only other Christian 'school' I know of is Moody Bible Institute.

Mid-America, that's about the only place in the Chicago area where you can get a good Reformed education. It is very much oriented toward the Dutch/Continental Calvinist side of things, though. I have known people who went there, but it is primarily serving URCNA churches and it can be pretty difficult. Here is their website: Mid-America Reformed Seminary

I think Mid-America would be your best option. I used to live close by and their students and teachers frequently preached at our PCA church. I know Dr. Venema and Mark Vander Hart are rock solid and I have read some good stuff from Alan Strange too. The school is small, but has recently become accredited (if that matters.) MARS is also very vocationally oriented toward preparing pastors, which I think is good.

For what it's worth, I think the right sort of person could get a top-notch education at Trinity, but I as some have cautioned, it wouldn't be for everyone.

I went to and graduated from Moody for my bachelor's degree.
At the time I was there, most of the profs were progressive dispensationalists, though there were a few classical dispensationalists running around. Many were soteriological Calvinists, though many were also "4-point Calvinists."
Some held to "cheap grace" some to "Lordship salvation." At the time of my attendance ('98-'02) a small minority of the faculty had bought hook, line and sinker into the church growth movement.

I worked right across the street from Trinity International University in Deerfield and over the years I supervised over a hundred TEDS students. More often than not I heard complaints of disatisfaction with the school. I would invariably ask why they stayed at such a ridiculously high priced institution and they would all say something along the lines of "it is an outstanding academic institution." Which it undeniably is. As far as academic intensity, it is definitely top notch. My best friend graduated from Trinity's undergraduate school and he agreed with the consensus of the TEDS students, that the undergraduate school was an embarassment to the Divinity school. (My friend was kind of a "geek" on campus, always studying Greek and other matters of Biblical studies... while many of the other students were acting like typical college kids.)

Wheaton's reputation definitely precedes it. As a college, it would be the evangelical world's equivilant of one of the Ivy League schools. As far as an academic experience, it is definitely worth the money - which you will pay a lot of! Wheaton's grad school is also exceptional, though they do not offer an MDiv. A few years ago they enticed Doug Moo to leave TEDS and begin a PhD program at Wheaton. He has assembled a STELLAR team of scholars, most recently by bringing Daniel Block up from Southern. Wheaton's PhD is the only one in evangelical schools that is fully funded and offers a stipend (in the tradition of schools in "real" academia) to its students. Too bad they only accept something like 8 students per year.

The bottom line is this: If I were lto start over and look for a college to attend - REGARDLESS of my specific denominational background - I would probably go to Wheaton (if I could get in based on my high school GPA). A degree from there is significant.
TEDS may be a good school, but they don't have the "dream team" of evangelical scholars that they had 10 years ago... and their prices are ridiculous.
If you want an excellent MA or even a PhD in OT, NT or Church History, then Wheaton is good - and keeps getting better. I only hope they build their PhD in theology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back