Cheese and pickles

Status
Not open for further replies.

a mere housewife

Not your cup of tea
Here is a simple recipe I sometimes make of an evening. Take one (1) cheesestick. Wrap it up in one (1) or more sandwich slices of pickle.* Eat over a sink because it is bound to drip.

*Rotel for this recipe is optional and frankly I don't know where it would go. Especially eating at the sink. I suppose you could put it along the back with the spongies and scrubbies or off to the side with the dirty teacups.

(This is very similar to the recipe Joshua posted but with a surprising twist. It doesn't include any deer meat or beef, leaves out all the vegetables, and while you are free to run the tap as you eat, it doesn't really call for water.

I call it 'crock pot winter stew a la cheese and pickle la mode'. Sometimes I call it 'crock pot winter stew a lalalalala cheese and pickle lalalalala lalala mode.')

Actually, Heidi, a closer look at Joshua's recipe will show it to be of the cannibalistic sort. As in..."bringing both the beef and the dear to be lightly browned." I'll stick with your simple recipe! :)

Here is a simple recipe I sometimes make of an evening. Take one (1) cheesestick. Wrap it up in one (1) or more sandwich slices of pickle.* Eat over a sink because it is bound to drip.

*Rotel for this recipe is optional and frankly I don't know where it would go. Especially eating at the sink. I suppose you could put it along the back with the spongies and scrubbies or off to the side with the dirty teacups.

This sounds like it would fit in well with the rest of my "college diet", Heidi. Thank you for sharing your culinary expertise. I will experiment with Rotel and see if it can work. Maybe the best one could do is a pepper jack cheese stick.

Denise, I am sure he meant to say that we ought to bring both the beef and dear rest of the meat mixture to be lightly browned. It is nearly impossible not to develop a tragic fondness for the foods one is cooking, I find.

Zach, perhaps we could author a cookbook: Simple Variations on more Complicated Recipes. We could start by poring over Betty Crocker and selecting some of the tastiest looking things, and then substitute a ricecake, etc. :)

This is true. They don't even require eating implements. Meanwhile the rest of you gorge yourselves with your unprescribed forks and spoons.

It is past my bedtime. I am being urged on to a recumbent fate by my dread overlord. But before I toddle off I have to say that someday I will not be here to tease you about Rotel, Joshua, and the gunk in your soul will be just a little bit gunkier.

Heidi, would this recipe work in reverse--say if it were a whole pickle sandwiched in a slice of provolone?

Gaze at the tiny amount of cottage cheese left at the bottom of the container. Dump in one of those lunch-sized cans of peaches. Stir and eat, preferably at the sink watching the birds at the feeder. I haven't been brave enough to do this without a spoon.

Jean that is another one of my favorites. And you are right, it does require an aesthetic spoon.

Jessi that is a very penetrating question. We'll probably have to experiment, as with all recipes.

Joshua, we can call it even if you will send me five dollars. I'd rather have cash now than your eternal indebtedness.

I did come up with my first entry for the cookbook idea earlier today, accidentally, while thinking about something else.

Beef Bolognese

* 1 pound organic ground beef
* 1 Tbs. smoked paprika
* 1 pinch crushed red pepper
* 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
* 2 carrots, finely diced
* 2 celery stalks, finely diced
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 (1 lb 12 oz) can crushed tomatoes
* 1/2 cup chicken stock
* 1/4 red wine
* 2 Tbs. honey
* 2 Tbs. fresh herbs (oregano, thyme)
* 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
*1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
* 1 pound bucatini pasta
* coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
* fresh parmesan for garnish

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef and cook until browned all over, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Add a good pinch of salt and pepper, along with the smoked paprika and crushed red pepper.

Add the onions, carrots and celery. Saute until the veggies have softened, 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute 1 more minute.

Add the crushed tomatoes, stock, wine, honey, herbs, and worcestershire sauce. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.

In the meantime, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the bucatini and cook until al dente. Drain and add to the sauce. Toss to combine.

Serve bolognese garnished with more fresh herbs and lots of parmesan cheese.

~

This entire recipe can be simulated with three baby carrots and a boiled egg. The flavor is somewhat different; but the texture will, we think, make it a noteworthy adaptation of this dish.

This entire recipe can be simulated with three baby carrots and a boiled egg. The flavor is somewhat different; but the texture will, we think, make it a noteworthy adaptation of this dish.

Heidi, how can you be one of my favorite people on this planet and we've never stood face-to-face?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back