check out this catholic article and tell me what you think about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

ijunn

Puritan Board Freshman
Catholic Faith and Works vs. Protestant Faith Alone - Fallible Blogma

Someone posted a comment saying that works of the law are works before conversion and not comparible with the works done by faith in Christ.

"Many protestants who insist on believing in “faith alone” seem to do so by saying that faith is all that is required, but of course works naturally flow from that. But I think this is a bit confusing and I’ll tell you why.First, their definition of faith here includes a natural outpouring of good works. They say that if it doesn’t include good works, then it’s not a real, justifying faith. In other words, what they are saying is that it is necessary for their faith to include good works in order to be justified. So it’s the same exact thing as saying that the requirements for justification (i.e. what is necessary) is both faith and works.

“But no, no, no,” they protest, “faith is all that is necessary…but good works are a consequence of it.”

“But what if someone’s faith doesn’t result in good works?” I ask.

“Well then they aren’t justified,” they say.

“So good works are required and necessary then?” I ask.

“Uhm, yes. No, wait,” they stumble, “if there are no works, then it’s not real faith,” they continue.
So we can see how the confusion comes about. I believe they are saying that their definition of a justifying faith includes good works. Because as soon as good works are taken away, they no longer believe that faith is justifying. Perhaps they no longer believe it is faith? I’m not sure. Either way, for the protestant in this conversation it seems that good works are required and necessary to at least turn faith into a justifying faith. Therefore, good works are required for justification. You can’t separate it."

Do you think there is some truth in this?

Like most RC's, the author makes the mistake of confusing justification and sanctification. Compare these definitions from the WSC. Note the language of a one-time act versus an on-going work.

Q. 33. What is justification?
A. Justification is an act of God's free grace, wherein he pardoneth all our sins, and accepteth us as righteous in his sight, only for the righteousness of Christ imputed to us, and received by faith alone.

Q. 35. What is sanctification?
A. Sanctification is the work of God's free grace, whereby we are renewed in the whole man after the image of God, and are enabled more and more to die unto sin, and live unto righteousness.

The part of the blog article you quoted is invented. It is designed to make the reader think that a Protestant cannot defend their position. This type of argument is a type of logical fallacy.

It would be better to go original sources to understand one of the biggest differences between the Roman Catholics and the Protestants - imparted righteousness vs. imputed righteousness. (Since the article mentioned the Lutheran Church I will use them below.)

Roman Catholic Encyclopedia - Justification

Lutheran Book of Concord - Augsburg Confession - Justification

I don't expect a Roman Catholic to understand what the Bible teaches about Union with Christ. It is spiritually apprehended and the one who rejects it is spiritually blind.

By what instrument do we lay hold of Christ and His righteousness? Faith.
From where does that faith proceed? It is the gift of God.
What does union with Christ mean? That Christ is our Prophet, Priest, and King - the mediator of the New Covenant. He intercedes for us, He teaches us, and He conquers every enemy that stands in the way. By His Spirit, works are produced. It is not our faith that produces the works as if the intensity of our believing has power but it is Christ, through the Spirit, enabling us - because we have died and risen with Christ (Romans 6).

Like most RC's, the author makes the mistake of confusing justification and sanctification. Compare these definitions from the WSC. Note the language of a one-time act versus an on-going work.

Q. 33. What is justification?
A. Justification is an act of God's free grace, wherein he pardoneth all our sins, and accepteth us as righteous in his sight, only for the righteousness of Christ imputed to us, and received by faith alone.

Q. 35. What is sanctification?
A. Sanctification is the work of God's free grace, whereby we are renewed in the whole man after the image of God, and are enabled more and more to die unto sin, and live unto righteousness.
:agree: This is the fundamental theological problem of Roman Catholic justification. Of course most of them have a much more serious problem-- their unregenerate hearts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back