Charity Fundraiser on the Lord's Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hart

Puritan Board Senior
My church has set out to do charity work among some of the local poor elderly. I and one other member are taking the lead in organizing the project and my wife, too, has been quite involved. I envisioned this as a good way to spend the Lord's Day: giving out hampers of food and Bibles to people in desperate need of both.

We have been raising money for the project and we've already reached our fundraising goal. Then today the announcement was made to sell some baked goods to raise money. The buying and selling are scheduled for next Sunday, after the service.

Before it was announced I tried to suggest other ways to do it. Why not just announce the fundraiser and give out the cookies for free? Those involved were informed that some people in the church would have some reservations with a bake sale on a Sunday. (In fact, I am fairly certain I'm the only Sabbatarian in the congregation.) But in spite of that, someone (I don't know who) made the decision that, whatever the views of some, it's going to be buying and selling.

I am not comfortable with this. I wonder if I should just remove myself from this project altogether.

I would appreciate the thoughts of men and women wiser than myself.

EDIT: After having expressed my discontent, the other member heading this charity initiative has spoken to certain personages. This other member, though not herself Sabbatarian, respects my views and has gone out of her way to help resolve this.

The plan now, as I understand it, is to give out the baked goods for free.

Last edited:
By the entire stock on a Tuesday and give them out for free on Sunday with a bucket for donations if recipients would wish.

Glad seems to be resolved. In general for that sort of scenario, one could skip participating in that event but not abandoned the visiting the poor etc. in general.

Glad seems to be resolved. In general for that sort of scenario, one could skip participating in that event but not abandoned the visiting the poor etc. in general.

That's what I was stuck on. I thought of quitting my leadership role but still helping out with the delivery of hampers.

The best thing to come out of this is that my wife, who formerly opposed the Sabbath, has supported me. What a blessing.

Maybe that shows that it sometimes is useful to just discuss the concerns face-to-face. I have seen at work with myself and others getting riled up, and we would have cut it off talking things through sooner.

Maybe that shows that it sometimes is useful to just discuss the concerns face-to-face. I have seen at work with myself and others getting riled up, and we would have cut it off talking things through sooner.

Generally, that's how I prefer to deal with things - brief, to the point, and with the aim of nipping it in the bud. Not everyone wants that, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back