Chariots of Fire Quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Memorable quotes from Chariots of Fire:

Reverend. J.D. Liddell: Sandy, the kingdom of God is not a democracy. The Lord never seeks reelection. There's no discussion, no deliberation, no referanda as to which road to take. There's one right, one wrong. One absolute ruler.
Sandy: A dictator, you mean?
Reverend J.D. Liddell: Aye, but a benign, loving dictator.

Eric Liddell: Hey, do you know what day it is?
Boy: Yeah.
Eric Liddell: Tell me then.
Boy: Sunday.
Eric Liddell: The Sabbath's not a day for playing football, is it?
Boy: No.

Reverend J.D. Liddell: Eric, you are the proud possessor of many gifts. It is your sacred duty to put them to good use. Don't compromise. Compromise is the language of the devil. Run in God's name, and let the world stand back in wonder.

Lord Birkenhead: Liddell, he is your future king, are you refusing to shake his hand? Does your arrogance extend that far?
Eric Liddell: My arrogance, sir, extends just as far as my conscience demands.
Lord Birkenhead: Fine, then let's hope that is wise enough to give you room to maneuver.

Eric Liddell: God made countries, God makes kings, and the rules by which they govern. And those rules say that the Sabbath is His. And I for one intend to keep it that way.

Harold M. Abrahams: And now in one hour's time I will be out there again. I will raise my eyes and look down that corridor; 4 feet wide, with 10 lonely seconds to justify my whole existence. But WILL I?

Lord Andrew Lindsay: Protocol, Monty, Protocol, he is here to show us what may be done and more essentially what may not be.

Lord Cadogan: That's a matter for the committee!
Lord Birkenhead: We *are* the committee.

Duke of Sutherland: A sticky moment, George.
Lord Birkenhead: Thank God for Lindsay. I thought the lad had us beaten.
Duke of Sutherland: He did have us beaten, and thank God he did.
Lord Birkenhead: I don't quite follow you.
Duke of Sutherland: The "lad", as you call him, is a true man of principles and a true athlete. His speed is a mere extension of his life, its force. We sought to sever his running from himself.
Lord Birkenhead: For his country's sake, yes.
Lord Birkenhead: No sake is worth that, least of all a guilty national pride.

Eric Liddell: Jennie, Jennie, don't fret yourself.
Jennie Liddell: But I do fret myself, Eric!

Eric Liddell: He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

Note from Jackson Scholtz to Eric Liddell: "In the Old Book it says 'He that honors me, I will honor.' Good luck."

what a great movie!!!!!! I can hear all of these as I read them. One that I have used over and over in my life is this one:

Don't compromise. Compromise is the language of the devil.

Phillip

Chariots%20Of%20Fire%202%20Disc%20Sp%20Edt.jpg

You know what...

I have never seen this movie. I have heard tons about it, but have never seen it. :candle:

Originally posted by LadyFlynt
You know what...

I have never seen this movie. I have heard tons about it, but have never seen it. :candle:

You're not alone :)

Originally posted by LadyFlynt
You know what...

:ditto:

All this talk makes be interested though.

It is my favorite movie of all time. :pilgrim:

I once ran on the beach where the title scene was filmed (St. Andrews, Scotland).

Here is some info on Eric Liddell.

Here is the Vangelis [video=google;-8701450430364727421]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8701450430364727421&q=chariots+of+fire[/video]to give you a taste of the movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back