Change of day for OT Sabbath?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christusregnat

Puritan Board Professor
Does anyone know whether the Sabbath as observed in the Old Covenant was always on Saturday, or whether it shifted days?

The reason I ask is that there appears to be seven cycles of 50 days with the other days being filled in. This would mean that the first day of the week would shift from the "first" to the "fifty-first" after the first 50-day cycle, and so on throughout the year.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

I do believe the day "shifted."
There were (I believe) two "eighth day" Sabbaths annually, Sabbaths that were 48 hrs., followed by a "first day" (i.e., the next day wasn't the "2nd" day of the week"). This would have necessitated shifts of some kind.

Some have argued that, rationally speaking, Israel would likely have come out of Egypt with Egypt's solar calendar. They almost certainly returned from the Exile with Babylon's lunar calendar.

With a solar calendar of 12 months (x30 days), by adding in a 48hr "day" (once per 6-month), and giving two months 31 days, to complete two different weeks, a nearly-accurate solar year of 364 days would be achieved (52x7). (Even one other extended Sabbath would make for a 365 day year, but I'm no expert on the subject.)

This would allow every year to begin on a "Sabbath", the first day of the year according to the Law. (In Jesus' day, there appears to have been both a secular and a religious calendar).

How was the discrepancy to the solar year fixed? I don't know, but there were additional 7-year cycles, and a 50-year cycle that could have been used (in conjunction with astronomical observations) to rectify the calendar to the seasons, and keep the anniversaries from shifting too far (similar to the way an intercalenary month serves lunar-calendar followers such as the Jews today).

Bottom line: the exact "7th day of the week" not only cannot be known to have never slipped from the beginning of the world until now (since no calendar has ever existed to prove it, based on a known exact age of the earth, not rounded at all, in years, weeks, or in days) but it almost certainly has shifted in the week MANY times.

The important fact would be that the "last day" of any week kept and marked, WAS the day of rest,
and now the "first day" of every week IS that assigned day of rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back