Champs lose star players to NBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo Christo

Puritan Board Freshman
After an incredible national championship season it looks like North Carolina will have to spend some time rebuilding. Sean May, Raymond Felton, and Marvin Williams have all decided to follow their star teammate Rashad McCants into the NBA draft early. What a difference a year will make.

espn story here

I personally would have loved to have seen all of these kids stay in school. Once their careers are said and done, I can't imagine that they will not regret passing up the experience of defending a national title together. But money is far more enticing I suppose.

You've got to admit though Andrew, NC alumni make great NBA players. As tight as the rivalry is, the same cannot be said for a team like Duke who seems to only send mediocrity into the pros.

Originally posted by Solo Christo
I personally would have loved to have seen all of these kids stay in school. Once their careers are said and done, I can't imagine that they will not regret passing up the experience of defending a national title together. But money is far more enticing I suppose.
What's getting into these kids nowadays, anyway? Instead of finishing their education and getting a steady job, they're throwing all that away for multimillion dollar NBA contracts. Hopefully they won't regret their impulsive decisions.

Of course, they all promised at the news conference that they were not giving up their education, just their eligibility to play college ball. Most of these young boys come from financially troubled families and a pro contract just seems to be too big of a carrot dangling in front of them.

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
:banghead:
Ah, come on, Andrew! Admit it! Deep down you know that it really won't make that much difference. If they played, NC would have utterly destroyed the competition. With them gone, they'll call in the second string and only decisively win.

NC did pay--ahem :worms:, I mean 'recruit' two McDonald's All Americans this offseason. Looks like they'll be starting in a hurry!

I suspected that the euphoria would come to an end, but not to a screeching halt like this.

I think Marvin Williams in particular is making a mistake. I hope he doesn't end up like Joseph Forte.

Bob McAdoo is one of my favorite Carolina players but I wish he hadn't started that precedent of Tar Heels leaving early for the NBA. Not to mention Michael Jordan.

The NBA is full of Carolina grads. Pro scouts used to grade potential draftees from UNC with extra bonus points just for going through the Dean Smith system. I'm sure the same will be true of the Roy Williams system.

Yes, I know there is a great incoming freshman class on the way. And I know that Roy Williams can mold them and maybe we'll get another championship in the next few years. But today's exodus is sad anyways.

Give Matt Doherty credit for recruiting most of the guys who won it all and now are heading to the NBA. Best wishes to Raymond Felton, Sean May, Rashad McCants and Marvin Williams. Thanks for some wonderful memories.

050103basket_prv.gif

SI predicts that Rashad McCants will be picked #11 in the NBA draft, Sean May #10, Raymond Felton #5 and Marvin Williams #1.

We'll see...Marvin Williams never started one game at UNC, but he has definitely got a bright future in the NBA.

That's amazing Andrew! 4 players out of the first 11 picks predicted. Seems like the Tar Heels should be playing in the NBA and the Bobcats in the ACC.

Not so sure if Marvin is the best #1 overall pick for my pathetic Hawks. I'd rather see them get Chris Paul. He reminds me a lot of Jason Kidd. Plus, we need a point guard pretty bad.

Well, Bogut was the #1 pick. But Marvin Williams was #2, Raymond Felton #5, Sean May #13 and Rashad McCants #14. That's a pretty big Tar Heel footprint on this year's NBA draft. ;)

Originally posted by Solo Christo
Not so sure if Marvin is the best #1 overall pick for my pathetic Hawks. I'd rather see them get Chris Paul. He reminds me a lot of Jason Kidd. Plus, we need a point guard pretty bad.
Oh well. :) Hope he lives up to the hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back