Chad Van Dixhoorn's book on the Westminster Confession

Status
Not open for further replies.
It favors the American version. Other than that it was pretty good. I purchased a copy from the first batch sold from banner at the FCC Family Conference. I appreciated the inline multiple editions.

I was able to leaf through a friends copy of it and to ditto what Benjamin said it is not "favorable" to the original 1646 WCF (especially concerning Papal Antichrist), but otherwise is an excellent volume.

Our church's monthly men's fellowship group is considering studying Van Dixhoorn's new book. First, though, we have to finish Thomas Watson's The Great Gain of Godliness, which we are about to start.

Another book on the Westminster Standards recently out appears to study the Standards from a historical theological context. Worth looking at I am sure The Theology of the Westminster Standards: Historical Context and Theological Insights | Books | Crossway

It favors the American version. Other than that it was pretty good. I purchased a copy from the first batch sold from banner at the FCC Family Conference. I appreciated the inline multiple editions.

I was able to leaf through a friends copy of it and to ditto what Benjamin said it is not "favorable" to the original 1646 WCF (especially concerning Papal Antichrist), but otherwise is an excellent volume.

Which of the two books are you guys talking about? Does John Fesko's or CVD's book favour the American version of the WCF?

Well, Fesko certainly "favors" the American revisions (he is in the OPC, after all). I have read most of his book and will be reviewing it in the coming months. The book is helpful in a number of ways. John does press certain points particularly that have been in discussion of late (republication and so forth). Other than generally recommending it, I'll not say more before the review. Fesko's is on the Standards more broadly while CVD's focuses on the WCF.

CVD has parallel columns in which he places side-by-side the original of the Confession and a Modern English Version. He, too, as a ministerial member of the OPC, adheres to the American revisions (this means, just to be clear, all the revisions up to 1903 and three of those made in that year, including the pope as Antichrist statement). I've just begun his and it looks like a helpful addition to the literature, particularly given Chad's historical knowledge respecting the Westminister Assembly.

Peace,
Alan

Rev. Strange, your reference to the revisions excludes the 1903 changes, right?

A few summers ago, we were privileged to hear CVD in Sunday School and he brought the sermon that week.

The OPC and PCA have retained two changes from the 1903 revision: the removal of the last sentence in 22.3 (which forbade the refusing of a proper oath when imposed by lawful authority) and of the reference to the pope as Antichrist in 25.6. The rest of the Confession is as revised in the American context before 1903.

Peace,
Alan

Another book on the Westminster Standards recently out appears to study the Standards from a historical theological context. Worth looking at I am sure The Theology of the Westminster Standards: Historical Context and Theological Insights | Books | Crossway

J. V. Fesko mentions several other works on the Westminster Confession which are worth consulting like:

David Dickson's Truth's victory over error

A.A. Hodge's A commentary on the Confession of Faith

Edward D. Morris' Theology of the Westminster symbols

Robert Shaw's An exposition of the Confession of faith of the Westminster assembly of divines

( there's an American Edition of Shaw's where certain liberties have been taken)

Francis R. Beattie's The Presbyterian standards

then there is also

David McDill's Exposition and defense of the Westminster Assembly's Confession of Faith

John MacPherson's The Westminster confession of faith

enjoy reading brothers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back