Catechism Commentaries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the encouragement!

It's been a while since I searched for any online works on the WSC, but the list has grown substantially over the past few years! It is great motivation to get back in the saddle again. The whole Project could really be a full time job.

Jospeh Alleine has a very simple Q & A based on the SC.

Thomas Doolittle has a devotional commentary. If a person still can't discern the heavenliness of the matter after reading this work, then it is to be doubted if they ever will.

John Willison's Plain Catechising should be made the standard guide for ministers.

One of the exceptional works which has not been reprinted is \"A Concise System of Theology, on the basis of the Shorter Catechism\" by Alexander Smith Paterson, A.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaHuguenot
Alexander Smith Paterson: A Concise System of Theology: being the Shorter Catechism Analyzed and Explained. Edinb. 1841; 2d ed. 1844.

Available online here.

Alexander Smith Pateron's commentary on the Shorter Catechism was reprinted by Kessinger Publishing earlier this year and is available at Amazon.

Andrew,
Here's a couple of other commentaries on the Heidelberg catechism:
Otto Thelemann's "An Aid to the Heidelberg Catechism" and
George Bethune's "Guilt, Grace and Gratitude" (Banner of Truth).

Jim

If the list isn't complete, here are a couple on the Heidelberg Catechism yet:

J. VanBruggen, Annotations to the Heidelberg Catechism (Neerlandia: Inheritance, 1991)

Fred H. Klooster, Our Only Comfort: A Comprehensive Commentary on the Heidelberg Catechism (2 volumes), (Grand Rapids: Faith Alive, 2001)

Karl Barth, The Heidelberg Catechism for Today (Richmond: John Knox, 1964).

Of course, those are just the English ones. The Dutch list is a lot longer. Also, there are numerous collections of sermons on the Heidelberger.

Thanks for all the additional suggestions, gentlemen!

Andrew,

Do you have your \"big list\" to post here now, dividing it into various catechisms?

Danny -- My "big list" (a subsection of a database that I have been working on for some time that is akin to Stanley's Great Big Book of Everything :)) is still in process, as a matter of fact, but I can point you to two places that have comprehensive lists of Westminster and Heidelberg Catechism commentaries (my personal list includes the Belgic Confession, Compendium, Second Helvetic Confession, etc.) which may be of interest:

Westminster Assembly Project (see here)

Platform for the Studies of the Heidelberg Catechism (see here)

Has anyone read John Hall's exposition of the first and second questions/answers of the WSC? If so, thoughts?

They are available at Solid Ground Christian Books.

The Chief End of Man: An Exposition of the First Answer of the Shorter Catechism by John Hall with Introduction by B.B. Warfield

The Scriptures: The Only Rule of Faith - An Exposition of the Second Answer of the Shorter Catechism by John Hall

John Hall (1806-1894) was pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Trenton, New Jersey for over 40 years, served as Professor of Pastoral Theology at Princeton Seminary, and later as Director of the Seminary. His close friendship with J.W. Alexander led to the publication of "Forty Years Familiar Letters of James W. Alexander" which appeared in 1860. He was a gifted writer of many volumes, several, like this oned, in collaboration with others.

Yesterday, I downloaded the new contribution by Doxa . . .

A Guide to the Westminster Confession of Faith: Commentary

NEW from Doxa Digital Press!
Where Theology Meets Technology

Authors: J. Gerstner, D. Kelly, P. Rollinson
Pages: 202
Price: $8
Media: Download

A Guide to the Westminster Confession of Faith: Commentary

Examines the WCF Paragraph by Paragraph
Authored by Reformed Theologians, Dr. John Gerstner, Dr. Douglas Kelly, Dr. Philip Rollinson
Extensive Topic Index with Hyperlinks
Page Numbers Included
WCF Included, Complete with Hyperlinks from Each Paragraph to Gerstner's Commentary
Synoptic Outline of Each Chapter
Very High Quality
Check Out Our Screen Shots

This represents a great addition that integrates fully with the $10 collection they already publish with . . .

Westminster Confession of Faith
Westminster Shorter Catechism
Westminster Larger Catechism
WCF with Parallel Confessions (WCF|1689|Savoy)
A Commentary on the WCF by A. A. Hodge
Notes on the WCF by J. Macpherson
An Exposition of the WCF by R. Shaw
The Presbyterian Standards by F. Beattie

And, for us 1689ers, Doxa also has Samuel E. Waldron's A Modern Exposition of the 1689 Baptist Confession of Faith, a rewrite of the 1689 in modern language, a parallel column 1689, Savoy, and WCF, A Discussion of the Seventeenth Century Particular Baptist Confessions of Faith by Richard P. Belcher and Anthony Mattia. They also publish a good deal of material on the various Lutheran and Reformed confessions, all in electronic format in the very user friendly (and free) Word Search platform! And, unlike some of the other Bible software companies, Doxa AND Wordsearch offer many of their best offerings for free or at a very substantial discount.*

*In the interests of full disclosure, I have found some of the more recent copyright works to be more costly from Word Search than Logos. However, in the area of Reformed (and Calvinistic Baptist) materials, they seem to have an edge on price (e.g., Founders Journal for free).

Originally posted by bookslover
This is on the Confession, not the Catechisms, but Robert Shaw (1795-1863), Exposition of the Westminster Confession (1845) is not to be missed.

According to the Dictionary of Scottish Church History and Theology, it is the most thorough commentary by a Scottish Presbyterian. (page 770).

It is very good. There are additional threads on confessional commentaries here and here.

Both these links got me 404 error messages.

Originally posted by bookslover
This is on the Confession, not the Catechisms, but Robert Shaw (1795-1863), Exposition of the Westminster Confession (1845) is not to be missed.

According to the Dictionary of Scottish Church History and Theology, it is the most thorough commentary by a Scottish Presbyterian. (page 770).

It is very good. There are additional threads on confessional commentaries here and here.

Both these links got me 404 error messages.

I posted the links in October 2006 and the PB has been upgraded quite a bit since then, so I am not surprised they are no longer accessible.

Not sure if I saw it in the list, but would David Dickson's "Truth's Victory Over Error" count?

It is a commentary on the Westminster Confession rather than on a catechism. There was an earlier thread listing confessional commentaries which included Dickson's on the list. (It's one of my favorites, btw.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back