Catechism Commentaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
I'm seeking to compile a list of commentaries on catechisms. Any suggested additons to the list below?

* Matthew Henry's Commentary on the (Westminster) Shorter Catechism

* John Whitecross' The (Westminster) Assembly's Shorter Catechism, Illustrated by Appropriate Anecdotes; Chiefly Designed to Assist Parents and Sabbath School Teachers in the Instruction of Youth

* Thomas Vincent's Westminster Shorter Catechism Explained

* James Fisher's Catechism

* Ashbel Green's Lectures on the (Westminster) Shorter Catechism

* Thomas Boston's Commentary on the (Westminster) Shorter Catechism

* John Flavel's Exposition of the (Westminster) Assembly's Shorter Catechism

* Thomas Shepard's The (Westminster) Shorter Catechism with Scripture Proofs

* J.G. Vos' The Westminster Larger Catechism: A Commentary

* G.I. Williamson's The (Westminster) Shorter Catechism: A Study Manual

* Thomas Ridgeley's Commentary on the (Westminster) Larger Catechism

* Thomas Watson's Body of Divinity

* Zacharias Ursinus Commentary on the Heidelberg Catechism

[Edited on 10-15-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

* Caspar Olevianus A Firm Foundation: An Aid to Interpreting the Heidelberg Catechism

I almost feel guilty posting links to psalms4u.com website...

Alexander Whyte - Exposition on the Shorter Catechism - here

Rowland Ward - Study Guidehere

Originally posted by poimen
* Caspar Olevianus A Firm Foundation: An Aid to Interpreting the Heidelberg Catechism

Thanks!

Originally posted by crhoades
I almost feel guilty posting links to psalms4u.com website...

Alexander Whyte - Exposition on the Shorter Catechism - here

Rowland Ward - Study Guidehere

:lol: Thanks, Chris!

Originally posted by Jeff_Bartel
I can't tell you much regarding this ministry, but I have used his commentary on the Larger Catechism a couple of times (due to the lack of available commentaries on the WLC).

It is called The Westminster Larger Catechism: A commentary by Dr. Chuck Baynard.
I've not met Dr. Baynard but have been internet friends with him for many years. Chuck is EPC; and it shows.;) Check out LC109 for example.

Hugh Binning, The Common Principles of the Christian Religion, clearly proved, and singularly improved; or a Practical Catechism, wherein some of the most concerning foundations of our faith are solidly laid down; and that doctrine which is according to godliness, is sweetly, yet pungently pressed home, and most satisfyingly handled

From The Works of the Rev. Hugh Binning, M.A., edited by Rev. M. Leishman, The Life of the Author:

This book is an excellent exposition of the Westminster Catechism, so far as it goes, viz. to the twenty-first question, 'Who is the Redeemer of God's elect?' Mr. Patrick Gillespie writes a preface to the reader, wherein he expresses his high opinion of it in the following encomium: "In this book Mr. Binning explains many of the fundamental articles of the Christian faith, and had he lived to have perfected and finished this work, he had been upon this single account famous in the church of Christ." The Assembly's Catechism has had many expositions by pious and learned ministers, some of them by way of sermon, and others by way of question and answer. But this, so far as it goes, is not inferior to any.

John Willison's An Example of plain Catechising upon the Assembly's Shorter Catechism (1737)

Thomas Lye (Minister in London, d. 1684): An Explanation of the Shorter Catechism. London, 1676

Henry Belfrage (d. 1835): A Practical Exposition of the Assembly's Shorter Catechism, exhibiting a System of Theology in a Popular Form. Edinb. 2d ed. 1834. 2 vols.

Alexander Mair (d.1751): A Brief Explication of the Assembly's Shorter Catechism. New ed. Montrose, 1837.

Alexander Smith Paterson: A Concise System of Theology: being the Shorter Catechism Analyzed and Explained. Edinb. 1841; 2d ed. 1844.

Jonathan Cross: Illustrations of the Shorter Catechism. Proof-texts, Exposition, and Anecdotes. 2 vols. 18mo. Presbyt. Board of Publ.

Edwin Hall, D.D.: The Shorter Catechism of the Westminster Assembly, with Analysis and Scripture Proofs. Presbyt. Board of Publ.

James R. Boyd, D.D.: The Westminster Shorter Catechism; with Analysis, Proofs, Explanations, and Illustrative Anecdotes.

The Bellefonte Series of Tracts on the Answers to the Shorter Catechism, written by numerous Presbyterian ministers, and edited by the Rev. Wm. T. Wylie. Bellefonte, Pa. 1875.

Jospeh Alleine has a very simple Q & A based on the SC.

Thomas Doolittle has a devotional commentary. If a person still can't discern the heavenliness of the matter after reading this work, then it is to be doubted if they ever will.

John Willison's Plain Catechising should be made the standard guide for ministers.

One of the exceptional works which has not been reprinted is "A Concise System of Theology, on the basis of the Shorter Catechism" by Alexander Smith Paterson, A.M.

Originally posted by armourbearer
Jospeh Alleine has a very simple Q & A based on the SC.

Thomas Doolittle has a devotional commentary. If a person still can't discern the heavenliness of the matter after reading this work, then it is to be doubted if they ever will.

John Willison's Plain Catechising should be made the standard guide for ministers.

One of the exceptional works which has not been reprinted is "A Concise System of Theology, on the basis of the Shorter Catechism" by Alexander Smith Paterson, A.M.

Thanks! :pilgrim::up:

This is on the Confession, not the Catechisms, but Robert Shaw (1795-1863), Exposition of the Westminster Confession (1845) is not to be missed.

According to the Dictionary of Scottish Church History and Theology, it is the most thorough commentary by a Scottish Presbyterian. (page 770).

Originally posted by bookslover
This is on the Confession, not the Catechisms, but Robert Shaw (1795-1863), Exposition of the Westminster Confession (1845) is not to be missed.

According to the Dictionary of Scottish Church History and Theology, it is the most thorough commentary by a Scottish Presbyterian. (page 770).

It is very good. There are additional threads on confessional commentaries here and here.

I like Outline of an Anglican Life, by Father Tarsitano. But that is just my humble opinion! OK. I crouch down and prepare to be dogpiled! :) :) :) :)

Shorter Catechism Project

It is good to see that so many of these resources are available digitally now. I started the Westminster Shorter Catechism Project some years ago (www.shortercatechism.com), which contains many of the books already cited, but have not had time to add to it recently. I'm sure it will always be a work in progress.

It is good to see that so many of these resources are available digitally now. I started the Westminster Shorter Catechism Project some years ago (www.shortercatechism.com), which contains many of the books already cited, but have not had time to add to it recently. I'm sure it will always be a work in progress.

Your work has been invaluable and is much appreciated, brother! :pilgrim:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back