Cat (Yusuf) Playing Music Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I haven't heard his new CD. Will probably have to get it. Hopefully it won't have a bunch of Islamic junk. Then again, I'm sure it probably will. Maybe I won't get it and just keep my fond memories of the new age Zen Cat I know and love.

Simple. It's Satan.
Yes, I know Satan is the primary cause (well, maybe we wouldn't even say that now would we?) and that is indeed the simple answer. The more complex question in my mind is what Cat's reasons were, what was going on in his head. He just didn't seem the type. My gut feeling is he was such a free-spirited, multi-ecumenical, morning-has-broken-type, hippy, Zen Buddihst that he ultimately welcomed a religion that is about as strict and rule-bent and as you can get. Perhaps this gave him a safety he hadn't known?

My gut feeling is he was such a free-spirited, multi-ecumenical, morning-has-broken-type, hippy, Zen Buddihst that he ultimately welcomed a religion that is about as strict and rule-bent and as you can get. Perhaps this gave him a safety he hadn't known?

You're probably right. Been there. Done that. The old hippie-dippy, anything-goes mentality. (I like the "morning-has-broken-type":) )

Goes to show that when one is so "open minded" eventually their brains will leak out.;)

But seriously that assesment is probably valid the newage zen thing offers no meaning for our existence when one strips it down to brass tacks. Islam probably, as was already stated, gave a feeling of safety and a feeling of being able to "reach God" in his own strength.

And besides, anything makes more sense than New Age Zen type teachings.

we're all born to worship something, and due to our fallen state, having a void where our heart should be, seek out to fill it, with whatever seems right.
truely makes me thankful for Christ changing me, even though i didnt want to be changed.

we're all born to worship something, and due to our fallen state, having a void where our heart should be, seek out to fill it, with whatever seems right.
truely makes me thankful for Christ changing me, even though i didnt want to be changed.

Truly indeed! I'm thankfull for the Holy Spirit's regenerating work in my heart. Showing me my sin and leading me to Christ.

(BTW.... Crazy avatar there dude! :rofl: )

Question: Why do you all think he (Cat Stevens) is now putting out a new - non-Islamic - album? After all these years, why now? I don't think it's for lack of money. Nor desire to be back in the public light.

I think it may be to put Islam in a more positive light. Given the fact that so many now know it to be a vicious religion, Cat Stevens is doing his part for propaganda.

Question: Why do you all think he (Cat Stevens) is now putting out a new - non-Islamic - album? After all these years, why now? I don't think it's for lack of money. Nor desire to be back in the public light.

I think it may be to put Islam in a more positive light. Given the fact that so many now know it to be a vicious religion, Cat Stevens is doing his part for propaganda.

From all that I've read, he has reformed his understanding of how musical instruments play a part in Islam. He was at first under the understanding that they were completely forbidden, then he came to believe percussion instruments were allowed, and now he's come full circle again. It also had a lot to do with his son Mohamed Islam, (21?) who is also a musician.

I would neve doubt the influcence of Cat Steven's son, as well as his study of islamic music and its history. I think you are all very much on target and sincere. But ...

Cat Stevens was one of the most enthusiastic supporters of Khomeni's fatwa against Salman Rushdi.

Cat Stevens (from what I can remember) was close to orgamic regarding 9/11/01.

The Sufi's love of music and belief in its mystical qualities - as well as the rest of Islam's appreciation of it - has been well know FOR CENTURIES by all of Islam.

Cat Steven's release of a new, and very secular, album is, In my humble opinion, far too well-timed. I simply do not trust him (or any committed Mohammedan).

I went to a concert once by a famous Turkish Sufi musician with a Pentecostal friend of mine. She asked me what Sufis were and I told her they are Muslim Pentecostals. Sure enough, he started doing a Sufi chant in the middle of his concert. He seemed to understand how to use music to alter consciousness - but then so do a lot of rock musicians.

Certain Sufi sects believe music is an intoxicant.

Yeah, I've seen these guys. Their "praise" music is designed exactly like Evangelical praise music: repetitive ostinato pattern over strong back-beat rthymn. It brings on an "altered" state of consciousness.

Meanwhile, Cat said:

"It's one small step for man, one giant step for common sense," joked the singer, 58, about his return."

Actually, I heard him declare his intention of using his music to affirm Islam in the public-eye. Why? He explained that Islam is a religion of peace.

Make no mistake, "the artist formerly known as Cal Stevens" is determined to uplift the PR of Islam.

He just might do it too, his new album is splendid.

:candle:

Robin

just listen to the album and it was beautiful music with Islamic themes woven through out. Nothing overt but still there. I won't buy it or listen to it again. Too bad I really like Cat.

just listen to the album and it was beautiful music with Islamic themes woven through out. Nothing overt but still there. I won't buy it or listen to it again. Too bad I really like Cat.

Where did you listen to it?

What do you mean by Islamic themes? I'm not trying to be a smart alleck-- I really wouldn't know an Islamic theme if it bit me on the butt.

I am with IMesh and can download anything and listen to it for 7.95 a month. Well worth the money. Some of the titles are:
Whispers from a Spiritual Garden
Heaven/Where true love goes
I think I see the light
The Beloved

I certainly can see that Cat's religion would be reflected in his music. Not unlike how Kerry Livgren's Christian faith is reflected in his music. Or how Matisyahu's Hasidic Judaism is reflected in his music. An artist's art is naturally going to reflect, at least in part, who that artist is and what that artist believes in their inmost being. That is, in my opinion, the very essence of art. If one is an infidel their art will reflect it. If the artist is one of God's elect, again, their art will reflect who they are and what they are.

:2cents:

From Wikipedia:
Morning Has Broken" is a Christian hymn with lyrics written by Eleanor Farjeon (1881–1965). Written in Alfriston, a village in the south of England, in 1931, it can be found in the hymnals of many denominations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back