Canons of Dort, Main Point I, Article 17 (Is Assurance Posited?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WAWICRUZ

Puritan Board Freshman
"Since we must make judgments about God's will from his Word, which testifies that the children of believers are holy, not by nature but by virtue of the gracious covenant in which they together with their parents are included, godly parents ought not to doubt the election and salvation of their children whom God calls out of this life in infancy." — The Canons of Dort, The First Main Point of Doctrine, Article 17

It is part of Reformed orthodoxy to hold that the sacrament of baptism is in no way regenerative. Regarding the above article, mention is made of "holy not by nature." Do we take this as alluding to the non-regenerative aspect of baptism, in that the nature of man is unaffected by sacramental administration?

"By virtue of the gracious covenant in which they together with their parents are included..." seems to point to the external inclusion to the covenant, by which parents are exhorted not to doubt the internal dimension. In this act of deeming our children as members internally of the covenant, are we not presuming on the Lord's will regarding the matter since we as yet do not have the "fruits of election" apparent as stipulated in Article 12 of the same document?

Last edited:
The issue of baptism is not raised in this article but rather it is meant to be an application of one of the essential aspects of the covenant of grace which is that "believers and their seed" (HC, Q&A 74) are members of said covenant. So the authors of the Canons point Christian parents to God's promises concerning their children; this is not presumption but faith in what God has declared about them (i.e. "God's will from His Word")

Re: Article 12 - The fruits of election are for 'us' not for 'them', meaning they are for the individual's reflection and examination not so much for others to judge and determine. A child cannot, visibly, bear forth the fruits of their election but this does not mean that we cannot believe that they are elect according to God's promise to His covenant people.

Last edited:
Brother Warren,

The book Covenant, Justification and Pastoral Ministry is available in our church's library. :D

Dr. Clark,

I have gone through your essay, and I'd like to look into this particular passage:

"The children of covenant members are not holy merely because their parents are outward members of the covenant of grace, but because at least one of their parents believes. The basis for the judgment that some covenant children dying in infancy are elect is the parents' profession of faith, not the baptism of the child."

What does "holiness" in this instance mean? Is it unto salvation? A statement that the children of the elect (not mere "professors" or "external" members of the covenant) are themselves elect? Or is it a "judgment of charity"?

Thank you for your indulgence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back