(Canadian) music websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poimen

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
I am looking for sites that Canadians can purchase and download mp3s. The website itself does not need to be Canadian or Canadian based; I am just looking for places where we can have access and pay with Canadian based credit cards.

Thank you!

Try GoMusic.ru

It's a Russian-based website and you can use your Canadian credit card to buy music through them. The prices are very reasonable.

Try GoMusic.ru

It's a Russian-based website and you can use your Canadian credit card to buy music through them. The prices are very reasonable.

Thanks. No problem with credit card fraud? You know - the whole 'Russian mafia' 'black market' thing.

The credit card billing takes place through a company out of the Netherlands. And I'm sure you know the saying, "If you're not Dutch..."

I've never had a problem nor have I heard of anybody else having a problem.

I've used gomusic for 2 years now, probably going on 3 pretty soon. It use to be called musicsearch but then went through a massive upgrade. I've never had any credit card fraud happen. I know a lot of people think it is illegal because the prices are so cheap (compared to ITunes or Napster), but I think this has more to do with how much Russian currency is and the fact that music companies probably sale the rights to their songs for a little less so they can get all those up and coming second world countries addicted to the good life.

Also, there are times when the gomusic actually tells you that the copy they have is a bootleg copy (usually done with obscure European titles).

Furthermore, if it was illegal I would imagine it would have closed down within the almost three years I've been using it.

And finally, even if it was illegal, it wouldn't really matter to me because it's not illegal in Canada :p Canada has the most lax copyright laws of any 1st world country on earth. About 70% of all movie bootlegs are done here as it is not illeagal to make a movie bootleg here. It was just in the news today that sneak previews of this summers big movies (Harry Potter, Shrek 3, etc.) will not have previews in Canada for this very reason: to prevent bootleggers from showing the movie before it is released!

Now that I think about though, it could possibly be considered illegal by Canadian standards if what they are doing is actually illegal (by everyone else's standards) and they are making money off of it. It is illegal to make money off of bootlegs here in Canada.

But then, one could bring up all sorts of different issues such as:

1) As a Christian, should I even listen to secular music?
2) Even if it is not considered stealing by Canadian standards, wouldn't it be considered stealing by Biblical standards?
3) What if this site is actually being run by the Russian mafia? Should I be supporting it?
4) Etc., Etc., Etc.

Wow, this post is a lot longer then I thought it would be. Anyway, hope that helps!

Mark,

I've wrestled through many of the issues that you raise as well. A couple of thoughts:

First, in Canada we subsidize artists through a tax-levy on recordable media. So, even if GoMusic.ru is not compensating artists adequately, we can still buy the music with a clear conscience. It's sort of like having a SUV and buying offsets. ;)

Second, I don't know if GoMusic.ru is run by the Russian mafia. But then again I don't know for certain that Procter & Gamble isn't really owned and operated by Satanists. :think:

Wes (an ex-Edmontonian)

Hey Wes, do you go to Trinity Western or ACTS seminary? My wife is going to be there this week/end for the English conference that is going on there. I also have friends who go to both institutions.

Hey Wes, do you go to Trinity Western or ACTS seminary? My wife is going to be there this week/end for the English conference that is going on there. I also have friends who go to both institutions.

No, but they are just down the road and I occasionally use the TWU library for my doctoral research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back