Can We Have Any Day of the Week set aside as unto the Lord?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dachaser

Puritan Board Doctor
there are some who have Saturday as their Sabbath keeping day, and the majority observe Sunday as the Lord Day, but if due to work or illness, could any day of the week be used to observe that day unto God?

As I intimated on the thread which no doubt sparked this new one, you can fast from food, or commit time during the week solely to the Lord at your own discretion. But it is not the Sabbath or a fulfilling of the requirements of the fourth commandment, because the command does not just reserve to the Lord a seventh of time, but a particular seventh ("by God's appointment, LBCF 22.7), which as the LBCF and WCF say, which "from the beginning of the world to the resurrection of Christ, was the last day of the week; and, from the resurrection of Christ, was changed into the first day of the week, which in Scripture is called the Lord's Day, and is to be continued to the end of the world as the Christian Sabbath" and the LBCF adds, "the observation of the last day of the week being abolished." LBCF 22.7, WCF 21.7

Privately, everyday is "unto the Lord", corporately, no. The WCF acknowledges the teaching of Scripture regarding the day. As others have said, to change the day corporately would be to take matters into our own hands. I will also acknowledge that in pop-evangelicalism, just about anything goes, which is why I posted in another thread not to seek any wisdom from the practices of pop-e. I think McDonald's has infected the church more than the Scriptures: we will have it our way.....

Last edited:
One of the LCMS in our area offers Saturday evening services to fulfill Sunday obligation and one offers mid-week service. We have attended these at times.

Last edited:
Would they be sinning in doing that?

It's not sinful to attend a service on another day of the week. For example, in the FCC, some churches have a midweek prayer service and preparatory services are common on Saturday night (and earlier in the week, depending) before service on the Lord's Day. Some other traditions may have a vesper's service on Saturday night to prepare for the Lord's Day. However, it doesn't make sense to speak in terms of fulfilling a Sunday obligation. We're "obligated" to set aside the whole of the Lord's Day in rest and worship (along with works of necessity and mercy), which includes corporate worship. Worshipping on another day does not mean we do not need to make every good effort to worship on the Lord's Day corporately and worshipping corporately on the Lord's Day does not mean we no longer are to put aside the rest of the day as a day of rest and worship.

Would they be sinning in doing that?
I hesitate to say. As a former Roman Catholic, missing church on Sunday was a grave sin. I am reading the same thing here, although this sin would not cause one to lose their salvation, as it could according to the RCC.

Last edited:
My pet peeve in evangelical missions: It is very trendy in evangelical missions to encourage missionaries to take a weekly "sabbath" from their labors. What they mean is a day of rest. But, since we serve on Sundays, they never mean Sunday when they speak of "taking a sabbath" - they just mean taking a day off because you are worn out from Sundays.

I once objected to a group of missionaries using this language and said, "You cannot take a weekly sabbath except for the sabbath...just call it a day off...don't try to fancy it up with pious language that is theologically incorrect."

My pet peeve in evangelical missions: It is very trendy in evangelical missions to encourage missionaries to take a weekly "sabbath" from their labors. What they mean is a day of rest. But, since we serve on Sundays, they never mean Sunday when they speak of "taking a sabbath" - they just mean taking a day off because you are worn out from Sundays.

I once objected to a group of missionaries using this language and said, "You cannot take a weekly sabbath except for the sabbath...just call it a day off...don't try to fancy it up with pious language that is theologically incorrect."
How does this tie into, if at all even, when Paul stated that a person reserves one Day holy to the Lord, another another, another all days etc?

Per Numbers 9.6-12, God graciously allowed those who were traveling or who had ceremonially defiled themselves to celebrate the Passover on a different day. Yet, this different day did not change the God-appointed time for the regular Passover observance. It was an expression of God's love for His people that He allowed this.

The same principle is true regarding the Lord's Day (see Chris's post #2 above).

The church can require of it's members regular Lord's Day attendance, and can discipline for breaking that day. It cannot require attendance at any service NOT on the Lord's Day--in other words, it would be wrong for a church to lay on a man's conscience the need to attend a mid-week meeting. They may hold mid-week meetings all they want, but cannot say that it is a christian duty to attend, like they can on the Lord's Day. That's one reason why the Lord's Day is a fixed day all the world 'round.
But consider also that when Christians assemble on the Lord's Day, they are declaring their unity, because for 24 hours as the globe spins, God's people are gathering to worship; the church universal raises her voice to the bridegroom. To fragment that glorious day into a bunch of different local sabbaths would take away some of the glory and majesty of it, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back