Can Deacon's baptize?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some would argue Stephen and Phillip had been promoted from deacon to minister considering their extensive preaching.

I don't mean to pick unnecessarily at words, but I'm uncomfortable with your use of the word "promoted" here. It is a different calling entirely.

After discussing this subject last night with my pastor in a Leadership training class, he felt this was an exceptional case. What he pointed out is that as a teaching elder, they (teaching elders) are to preach the Word and administer the sacraments. The two functions should be kept together.

It also makes sense to give some kind of "positional right", since it would be odd have just anybody in a church be able to administer baptisms. So generally speaking, a deacon shouldn't baptize.

With that being said, if you happened to be on a deserted island (or remote location) and shared the Gospel with someone and they wanted to place their trust in Christ and be baptized, I don't see the reason why you shouldn't. I know this really is a hypothetical situation, but the point is, I don't believe we need to hold to an absolute rule, like, ONLY pastors and such can baptize. If anything, the situation in Acts 8 shows that there can be extraordinary circumstances.

With that being said, if you happened to be on a deserted island (or remote location) and shared the Gospel with someone and they wanted to place their trust in Christ and be baptized, I don't see the reason why you shouldn't. I know this really is a hypothetical situation, but the point is, I don't believe we need to hold to an absolute rule, like, ONLY pastors and such can baptize. If anything, the situation in Acts 8 shows that there can be extraordinary circumstances.

I think your pastor was wise. And to your point I think

Baptism is not required for entrance to heaven.

Therefore I would not baptize him until God in His providence shipwrecked another vessel with an ordained minister on it who preached a sermon from the word with several members present.

Else when men will not step up to be elders, women would be justified in doing so.
We have seen this kind of thinking lead to a liberal mess

Therefore I would not baptize him until God in His providence shipwrecked another vessel with an ordained minister on it who preached a sermon from the word with several members present.

Else when men will not step up to be elders, women would be justified in doing so.

Then why didn't Philip take the eunuch to an ordained minister? :confused:

Then why didn't Philip take the eunuch to an ordained minister? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Do you mean to say you think baptism is required for salvation?

Heavens no!!! :lol:

I was referring to this part:

Heavens no!!! :lol:

I was referring to this part:

Exactly!

So unless an Angel whisks you off to a chariot and tells you to go teach someone then whisks you back to town, I wouldn't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back