Can anyone recommend me some books on John Knox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only one I have read is John Knox by Innes A Taylor. This was a free book for Kindle. I enjoyed it.

I haven't read it myself but Reformation Heritage Books has "The Mighty Weakness Of John Knox", by Douglas Bond on sale for ten bucks, marked down from sixteen. It has gotten some good reviews on Amazon here .

Thomas M'Crie's - The Life of John Knox undoubtedly ranks at the very forefront of the historical biographies published on John Knox. M'Crie's deep spirituality along with his acclaimed standing as a masterly historian secures this.

For anyone wanting to supplement the former, could I recommend another historical biography written by Jasper Ridley - John Knox. Although not in the same league as M'Crie for his spirituality, the author is a descendant of Nicholas Ridley who along with his friend Hugh Latimer fearlessly died at the stake in 1555 as martyrs for biblical and reformation truth. He is an acknowledged historian having also written an acclaimed biography of Archbishop Thomas Cranmer.

First published by Oxford University Press in hardback in 1968 (596 pages) the content index is as follows :-
1. The State of Scotland
11. Sir John Knox
111. Wishart
1V. The Castle of St. Andrews
V. The Galleys
V1. Berwick and Newcastle
V11. London
V111. Mrs. Bowes and Marjory
1X. The Flight from England
X. The Admonition to England
X1. The Troubles at Frankfurt
X11. Geneva and Scotland
X111. The Letters from Dieppe
X1V. The First Blast of the Trumpet against the Monstrous Regiment of Women.
XV. The Polemic against Anabaptism
XV1. Dieppe
XV11. The Revolution of 1559
XV111. The Negotiations with England
X1X. The Victory of 1560
XX. The Struggle with Mary: 1561-1562
XX1. The Struggle with Mary: 1563
XX11. The Revolt of 1565 and the Murder of Riccio
XX111. The Revolution of 1567
XXIV. The Murder of Moray and the Civil War
XXV. St. Andrews and Edinburgh
XXVI. Conclusion
In addition there are several Appendixes along with comprehensive Bibliography listing and Index.

I have just checked Abebooks and was surprised to find there is currently a number of secondhand copies currently available on both sides of the Atlantic - starting from US$15 but the prices progressively climb up.

Thanks so much for your input gentlemen. Looking forward to searching for these on amazon & alibris, & of course reading them after purchase. I always appreciate input when I ask for recommended readings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back