Can a 5-point Arminian go to Heaven?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's about time to wrap up this thread and turn out the lights. Too much talking past one another, the questionable wording of the poll question, stident tones where pacific ones are meet.... It will be closed in a few hours at most, so say what you will and conclude.

This is my final contribution. There is only one gospel. We believe it is summarized in human language thoroughly, and much more extensively than is "necessary" for salvation, in our Reformed Creeds. Not, I say again, in some "form" or with certain specifics that have to be agreed on when one sees spiritually for the first time.

Possessing Christ is like being shown a new car, and being handed the keys to your wheels. Arminian theology has you standing behind the thing and pushing it. Now an Arminian church has a bunch of people who are all pushing their cars around, and a bunch of people pushing boulders around. "Hey, push one thing, push another thing; its all good as long as you're pushing! What are you doing getting inside that thing? You think your better than us? Get out and keep pushing." This is the essence of all false religion. This is what Paul warned the Galatians about.

But if someone is really embracing the Christ of the Bible, and not some ersatz Christ, he is a "calvinist" whether he knows it or not, whether he wants to be or not. If he belongs to Christ, and he has no more than Remonstrating theology to put flesh on his faith-bones, he will get it right in glory, though he may have been starving all his earthly life like a Somali refugee. Or, to carry the previous simile along, he'll start learing how to drive, finally, in heaven.

Here's the rub: since Arminianism is false, and takes away from Christ and his saving work, and detracts from God's glory, we can be certain that Satan enjoys using it to delude many people into hoping in vain. Does he also take delight in duping some into thinking they have hold of Christ, when they only have "hope" in their Calvinism? Without question he does. But there the Devil plays with fire. He works overtime to blind the intellect of a few, because they are in possession of the very tools the Holy Spirit uses to convict and convince sinners. They are like the Jews of Jesus day--isolated in their ethno-communities, possessing the "oracles of God" (Rom. 3:2), and who did "search the Scriptures" knowing that they held the key to eternal life (Jn. 5:39)--who nevertheless were blind to the One of whom they testified.

Ask yourself the question: if you were duping many, many people, would you prefer to use a ruse--a false story? Or would you prefer that the plain truth was widely disseminated and believed in form, but to expend countless individual labors to redirect each separate person's faith away from that to which the truth they possessed pointed? Isn't the missionary spread of the true gospel the Devil's death knell? Isn't he limited by his lack of omnipotence and omniscience? Isn't he bound?

See that Arminian over there? Maybe he's pushing a car. Maybe its a boulder. You don't know what he's pushing, because you can't see his heart. Go over there and share the value of the keys to a car.

Originally posted by Jeff_Bartel
In fact, I myself was a staunch Arminian (although i didn't read Arminius or Wesley) and most of my family, including my parents are still Arminian.

When presented with the five points of Calvinism, I immediately HATED the truth. While not being able to defend the Arminian position, after I looked at the 5 pts. of Arminianism, I knew that is what I believed my entire life (without knowing it).

I stand corrected. :handshake: BUT your comments make my point. Arminians tend to have knee-jerk, not thoughtful, reactions to Calvinism.

I have been struck with the irony of how Arminian and pietistic this discussion has been. We have tended to ignore the idea of salvation as a process (Calvinism) and discussed it as an event (Arminianism). We have focused on what must be done to "be saved," focusing on aspects of conversion (Arminianism/pietism), rather than discussing growth in knowledge and grace (Calvinism).

The other irony is that the whole thread has spun off of a question that ignores the ordo salutis (regeneration necessarily preceeding faith) and confuses regeneration with the whole process of salvation. This is not to mention the fact that the question is unanswerable because regeneration is not observable.

The final thing I would say is that we need to be careful not to add to the the Gospel in our efforts to be precise in theology. We are told to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ to be saved...not quibble about about the finer points of soteriology. Nowhere does the Bible lay down the soteriologic prerequisite of an informed, mature theology. Teaching that is the job of the Church.

[Edited on 4-27-2005 by kevin.carroll]

In closing this thread out, I would just like to comment again how important it is that we view saving faith as #1 a gift from God himself, bought by our Lord Jesus Christ. Our knowledge and understanding of the gospel is NOT of ourselves, nor does our salvation depend upon our own workings, it depends upon the work of Christ for us 2000 years ago. In Christ's life, he earned the grounds of salvation (his righteousness) and the means of salvation (faith), and to attribute either of these to ourselves is blasphemy of the highest order, and belief in such proves that God has not indeed granted a saving faith.

All that should only encourage us to evangelize Arminians even more, bringing not just Calvinism, but the truth that faith is a gift from God, not wrought about by ourselves, or our contribution to salvation. As the Israelites were saved by looking to the snake that was completely outside themselves, for salvation, so too must we look completely outside ourselves to Christ to save us.

"As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up; so that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life." John 3:14

"He who justifies the wicked and he who condemns the righteous are both alike an abomination to the LORD." Proverbs 17:15

May God grant us the grace to judge with a righteous judgment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back