Calvin's Institutes--McNeill edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pilgrim

Puritanboard Commissioner
I recently acquired this edition and hope to begin reading it soon. I seem to recall someone saying once (at least) that John McNeill was neo-orthodox and that there were a few issues with some of the critical notes. Is this true? If so, what should I watch for?

I had thought that this had been mentioned here previously, but I wasn't able to find anything when searching the forum. Maybe I saw it somewhere else.

I recently acquired this edition and hope to begin reading it soon. I seem to recall someone saying once (at least) that John McNeill was neo-orthodox and that there were a few issues with some of the critical notes. Is this true? If so, what should I watch for?

I had thought that this had been mentioned here previously, but I wasn't able to find anything when searching the forum. Maybe I saw it somewhere else.

It's not too heavy. He suggests (somewhere) that Calvin wouldn't have held to 20th century notions of inerrancy

Interestingly, J. I. Packer has been quoted as saying that he thinks the Thomas Norton translation is the best one, in his opinion.

Some of the common critiques of the Institutes edition translated by Battles and edited by McNeil:

- Battles broke paragraphs where they shouldn't have been broken, making the text read differently in sections and makes it seem like Calvin is promoting Battles' view/agenda in some areas. He is said to promote the "Calvin versus the Calvinists" view of history, which many agree with and many disagree with.
- Battles edition inserted Title Headings and this gives it the impression Calvin is saying something he wasn't saying.
- Battles edition doesn't translate technical terms.
- Battles edition inserts verses where Calvin didn't have a citation.

- Battles edition is missing many of the benefits of the Beveridge edition, like Preface and Topical Index. A comparison of the Tables of Contents of the Battles with the Beveridge editions will show you what is included in Beveridge and not in Battles.

All in all, knowing these differences and keeping an eye out, you should be just fine to use the Battles edition. :) If you hit a section where you think "Did Calvin really say that?" you can still compare it against Beveridge or Allen editions. Enjoy!!! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back