Calvin's Institutes: 1541 edition vs the final edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
Good day. I know there have been a few older threads about the different translations of the Institutes. Now that the 1541 edition has been out for sometime, I am wondering if anyone has read this one along with his final edition and compared them. I presently only own the 1541 edition published by the Banner. I am wondering if I am missing out on a good bit of his theology by reading this one. Also, I know this was a revised edition of the one he wrote shortly after his conversion. His grasp of theology and Scriptures obviously matured from this one to his final edition. Should I read the final edition first and then circle back around to this one? Thanks for any input.

Thank you as always! This seems to be the information I am seeking. I am on a big Calvin kick. I am challenging myself to read as much by him as possible. I am aiming to reading one of his commentaries per month along with miscellaneous works by him.

I am challenging myself to read as much by him as possible. I am aiming to reading one of his commentaries per month along with miscellaneous works by him.

One commentary per month is a big task, but contrary to popular assumption, Calvin is a remarkably easy read. He was a brilliant writer and Latinist, capable of putting profound thoughts in simple words. He is deep as the ocean, but accessible as a story book.

Can anyone recommend some good sources on Calvin's life? I am thinking about getting
One commentary per month is a big task, but contrary to popular assumption, Calvin is a remarkably easy read. He was a brilliant writer and Latinist, capable of putting profound thoughts in simple words. He is deep as the ocean, but accessible as a story book.

He is indeed very lucid. I have thoroughly enjoyed everything that I have read by him. I particularly enjoy his sermons.

Can anyone recommend some good sources on Calvin's life?

Bruce Gordon’s recent biography is fantastic. He is actually a little critical of Calvin, but that to me only ensures that his biography stays away from hagiography. I had to read it for my Calvin class in seminary.

One great way to do this would be to read the full and final edition of Calvin's Instiutes with two excellent study guides - "A Theological Guide to Calvin's Institutes" and "Knowing God and Ourselves: Reading Calvin's Institutes Devotionally". Both books make good use of Calvin's commentaries and other writings as they guide you through the Institutes.
I have "Knowing God and Ourselves" along with "Zeal for Godliness." Our men's study is using "Zeal" with "Institutes." Both have been helpful. I abandoned them to move faster though the "Institutes."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back