Calvin's Institute of Christian Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

God'sElectSaint

Puritan Board Freshman
Just received a one volume copy of Calvin's institutes of the Christian religion and this thing is a brick. I am very excited to go through it though. I'll probably just go through slowly and take my time in it. Anyone read through this whole thing?

The Institutes is a classic of Reformed theology and spirituality. It will be a challenge, but rewarding.

Here is a webpage http://www.reformation21.org/calvin/ with 244 entries that may accompany your reading for a year.
(don't miss the "complete archives" tab at the bottom of the page for the remainder)

I'm just about through it for the first time; it's fantastic. I highly recommend that you listen to this free course on Calvin's Institutes from CTS: https://www.covenantseminary.edu/resources/resource/courses/calvins-institutes/

You just need to sign up for a free account. I first read a section; then I would listen to the corresponding lecture. That is what I'd recommend you do.

Also I just finished reading Calvin: A Guide for the Perplexed by Paul Helm. I'd also recommend reading that, but I'd read that after you've finished the Institutes.

You can learn from the Institutes, but you must be patient. It takes Calvin an incredible amount of time, at times, to say what he wants to say.

there is a young lady on facebook that goes through this like school check it out but you have to join

I've been reading through it as a new Calvinist myself. I find myself having to re-read entire sections because it is an extremely difficult piece of literature, but I've found it extremely edifying. The man knew how to write, that's for sure.

What blows my mind about Calvin is his ability to communicate both to the learned theologian and the layman alike. His expository teaching style was remarkably easy to follow for even the most simple of people, but put the man in the room with Luther and they could have theological discourse on a level that few people could understand fully and rightly.

Back to the Institutes, though, I find myself taking short "breaks" from it for a few days to a week to really process some of the stuff that I've read and to supplement it with easier stuff like R.C. Sproul's Chosen By God that I know will help me to comprehend what he's saying better as I move along.

Above and beyond the Book of Concord, this is the single most difficult text I've ever read, but I am loving every minute of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back