Calvinism Refuted. I'm switching over...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the matter of invective, this man has a way with words, and is an enormously entertaining speaker. But, as Warfield remarked, people like this may make salvation as easy as they can - the matter of a button to be pushed; and yet the sinner is incapable of ever pushing that button.

Sadly enough, this is how my mom's side of the family is. It is very southern pentecostal. Not that it is the only denomination that does this type of thing, but it is definitely characteristic of the holiness pentecostal sect. My family is hardly a step down from snake handling pentecostals. :um: On a lighter note, I wonder if the holiness of the pastor is rated by the condition of the pulpit. I also wonder if they teach kickboxing at pentecostal seminary. :lol:

By no means am I condoning his behavior or enjoy his perversion of scripture but I am wondering if what we are all doing is just gossiping. Please tell me if I am wrong in that assumption, because in other circumstances with friends and such I feel this way.

So to put it properly in a question, if we have no intention of reaching out to him and show him his error, is what we are saying constitute as gossip?

By no means am I condoning his behavior or enjoy his perversion of scripture but I am wondering if what we are all doing is just gossiping. Please tell me if I am wrong in that assumption, because in other circumstances with friends and such I feel this way.

So to put it properly in a question, if we have no intention of reaching out to him and show him his error, is what we are saying constitute as gossip?

I appreciate your concern; we ought to ask such questions in our daily lives. In this case, I don't see how this is gossip. After all, he put the video of his ranting online and thus made it a public statement, which makes it open to public criticism. Other information about him in this thread is likewise from his own public statements and by no means false accusations or tales that we just "heard" from somewhere. As for reaching out to him and showing him his error, it has actually been done; however, he and his group are not very open to such critiquing. They believe what they believe because they believe it, which is precisely why they are KJV only. To them, facts are not of primary concern. Anyhow, I don't think this is gossip, though perhaps wrongly finding humor in the crazy antics of this loon (I am often guilty of this).

I appreciate your concern; we ought to ask such questions in our daily lives. In this case, I don't see how this is gossip. After all, he put the video of his ranting online and thus made it a public statement, which makes it open to public criticism. Other information about him in this thread is likewise from his own public statements and by no means false accusations or tales that we just "heard" from somewhere. As for reaching out to him and showing him his error, it has actually been done; however, he and his group are not very open to such critiquing. They believe what they believe because they believe it, which is precisely why they are KJV only. To them, facts are not of primary concern. Anyhow, I don't think this is gossip, though perhaps wrongly finding humor in the crazy antics of this loon (I am often guilty of this).
Quite a few of us have done this on YouTube. However, he still refuses to listen. Oddly enough, he does not block us, while other infamous people like RedBeetle have done - even if you ask him softball (and I do mean "softball") questions.

I don't think it's wrong even to find some humor in it. The Bible tells us that God himself laughs and scoffs at the foolishness of men (Psalm 2) and Elijah taunted the prophets of Baal.

Perhaps we should be somewhat cautious about what we laugh at though. I have to admit that it really bothered me when I heard a Reformed sermon that mentioned Todd Bentley and how he claimed that he kicked an old woman in the face at the prompting of the Holy Spirit ... and the audience around me laughed. I don't really know why it's funny that Bentley kicked an old woman, if indeed he did that. If he is merely lying and bragging that he kicks people and he doesn't, that's disturbing, but still not really funny.

Not funny if the pulpit this guy was kicking was a person, but under the circumstances, I have no qualms about discussing this or even laughing about it. The biggest problem with these teachings is that people take them too seriously. He would do a lot less damage if more people laughed at him instead of saying 'Amen'.

I wish you guys would stop scaring me like this. Once again, I thought someone was actually switching to Arminianism.
:banghead:

I wish you guys would stop scaring me like this. Once again, I thought someone was actually switching to Arminianism.
:banghead:

That's why you always assume it's a joke. Then, after you laugh at them, if the person says he/she is serious, it's still okay because you're allowed to laugh at Arminians. :D

This guy does seem like a real idiot.
I just preached on Sunday on 1 Tim 4:6-16, and if you look at verse 16, God does not seem to be opposed to language of winning souls (of course we understand this to be always in deference to God's sovereignty). The grotesque straw man of Calvinism that he erects is a testament to his own mental laziness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back