Calvin on the actual frequency of the Lord's Supper in Geneva

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTK

Puritan Board Junior
Interestingly enough, when Calvin's views are discussed on the frequency of the observance of the Lord's Table, reference is usually made to his comments in the Institutes. This excerpt from a letter of Calvin, written towards the end of his life (1561) demonstrates, at least I think so, his contentment with a monthly observance.
John Calvin (1509-1564): We are very pleased that the Lord´s Supper is being celebrated every month, provided that this more frequent observance does not produce carelessness. When a considerable part of the congregation stays away from Communion, the church somehow becomes fragmented. Nonetheless, we think it is better for a congregation [to take Communion] every month than only four times a years, as usually happens here.
When I first came here, the Lord´s Supper was observed only three times a year, and seven whole months intervened between the observance at Pentecost and at the Birthday of Christ. A monthly observance pleased me, but I could not persuade the people, and it seemed better to bear with their weakness than to continue arguing stubbornly. I took care to have it recorded in the public records, however, that our way was wrong, so that correcting it might be easier for future generations. John Calvin, Calvin´s Ecclesiastical Advice, trans. Mary Beaty and Benjamin W. Farley (Louisville: Westminster/John Knox Press, 1991), p. 96. Note: This letter was written from Geneva on August 12, 1561. It touches briefly on several aspects of worship. Of interest is the interplay between what calvin believed to be right and what he was able to lead others to do.
Just a few observations...

1) Calvin says that the supper was observed only 3 times/year before he came to Geneva.

2) He indicates that he had to bear with the weakness of the people for a while until they could be led to a monthly observance.

3) and that the "more frequent" practice of monthly observance was good so long as the people didn't become "careless" by celebrating it so frequently.

I thought it would be helpful for folk to compare this comment of Calvin with what he says in His Institutes.

Blessings,
DTK

"the Lord´s Supper was observed only three times a year, and seven whole months intervened between the observance at Pentecost and at the Birthday of Christ."

Am I right to conclude that the church in Geneva celebrated Easter, Pentecost, and Christmas and only observed the Lord's Supper during these times?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back